Cantilever Deck framing question

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgeist

Reaction score
Hello, all. I didn't see a better forum, so I hope this one is okay for framing questions.

I'm building a deck in a tree (the base of a more elaborate tree house above it). It's rectangular and the supported area is roughly 10'x10' One side has an inverted A-frame with a timber beam on the top mounted to the live tree and the other is a simple pair of 6x6 posts on concrete footers with a triple 2x8 beam anchored to the top with post cap hardware.

I plan on extending joists (likely 2x8) at 16" OC between these two support beams and anchoring them to the beams beneath with hurricane straps. If the rim joists were resting on the beams, I'd use joist hangars, but I plan on a 12"-18" cantilevered overhang on each end to make the overall platform a bit wider. How do you fasten the "rim joists" to the joists when the load is carried by the latter? I want the structure at the cantilevers to be strong and appropriate for bolting railings, etc, so end-nailing seems like a bad idea. Do you use a joist hangar upside down to carry the load the other direction?

Thanks.
Dan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks