Can't remove shower faucet handle

Users who are viewing this thread

MOB19

Reaction score
I have a leaking shower valve that needs to be fixed, but I cannot figure out how to remove the handle. The handle has a plastic cap that I tried remove with hand pressure and a putty knife. I tried to prying up, pulling out, and sliding up, but it is not coming off, and I'm starting to damage the finish. (I'm sure that I could pry harder, but I might break the part.)

The attached picture shows the handle.

Neither the escutcheon nor handle lists the manufacturer, and I double checked that there is not hole for a set screw to loosen and remove the handle.

Any idea how to remove the plastic can and the manufacturer?

Attachments

• Faucet Handle.jpg
    Faucet Handle.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 290

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd try a plastic trim removal tool. Fairly strong, tapered end, shouldn't scratch the plastic if you're careful. You might try a knife blade into the seam and pry, but that might damage the finish.

MOB19

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea of using car trim tools. I have some and tried to get is off using them -- still no luck, but at least I'm not wrecking the finish as much as I was with a screw driver or putty knife. I'm prying as much as I can, but it isn't coming off. I would like to avoid breaking it just to replace a cartridge.

Any guesses on possible manufacturer? Do any not typically put their name on the escutcheon or handle?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks