Can't remove bath fixture stems, late 1800's

Users who are viewing this thread

John Valetutto

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased an old house built in the late 1800's. The bath tub has three separate knobs. One for hot, cold and a drain. I can't seem to figure out how to remove these fixtures to replace them. I see a nut back there on the hot and cold. But when I loosened them, they just slid off the stem. Should I try opening the valve and then keep turning the stem counter clockwise to loosen it?

index.php

valetutto-01.jpg

valetutto-02.jpg

valetutto-03.jpg

John Valetutto

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a set. I just don't see how I'm supposed to use it? Theres no fitting or nut to put them on.
Open the valve by turning the stem CCW. Then put the wrench over the hex I outlined in yellow, and turn CCW.

You may have to break some tile to clear the wrenches. I don't know how to clear that space without breaking more than you want. Maybe you do. I am not a pro.

That pink tile is probably from the 50s.

IMG_5.jpg

John Valetutto

Reaction score
Ok I appreciate you taking time to respond. Say I do yet these out. Do I open the valve all the way when I put the new ones in? Or does that not matter?

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok I appreciate you taking time to respond. Say I do yet these out. Do I open the valve all the way when I put the new ones in? Or does that not matter?
I am not sure. When removing the stem using the smaller nut, you want the stem screwed out. When removing the assembly with the bigger nut, I am not sure it matters.

Once inside, you will be looking to replace the washers and seats. Seats will usually have a hex or square opening that a seat wrench can probably get out. I never used a "seat wrench" but instead got a big Allen wrench.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Not the same brand that you have, but somewhat similar. There is a packing nut around the stem that spins and further in the wall is where the socket would fit to. You will need to remove enough tile around your stems to get the tool in there.

pp_three_handle_stems.jpg

John Valetutto

Reaction score
I'm running into a slight issue here. In that first picture I posted. These appears to be just a packing nut. I don't see any other place to use the socket. Is it possible that to remove these, I need to turn that shaft counter clockwise?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should really consider opening up the wall and replacing the valve at this time.

moen-tl2368ep-replacement-10.jpg

Here I cut the wall using a tile bladed on a jig saw, removing the old three handle valve.

moen-tl2368ep-replacement-12.jpg

I used a Moen Posi-Temp valve with this elongated trim.
The tub spout got replaced with a diverter spout. Single handle, temperature balanced, way nicer.

moen-tl2368ep-replacement-08.jpg

What I started with.

John Valetutto

Reaction score
Ok so I finally got around to cutting the tile around the fixture and I'm 100% sure that's it's all one piece now. If I remove that outer packing nut, just the nut comes out and the shaft stays in the fixture. It seems like the best solution would be to redo all these fixtures to something more modern. In the meantime, has anyone seen anything like this before? How do I rip this thing out so I can replace it? I just need a temporary fix until I can get an actual plumber out here.

Here's a link to a gallery I made with updated pictures:

luvbuckets-04.jpg
luvbuckets-03.jpg
luvbuckets-02.jpg
luvbuckets-01.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A remodel plate and a new valve should replace what you have and be up to current plumbing codes. YOu can repair what you have but a modern valve is a better idea. My preference is to replace it with a thermostatically controlled valve as that will typically give you control of both the volume and temperature, but a single handle pressure-balanced valve will cost you less. The remodel plate you select will tell you the max opening you can make and still cover the hole. Delta make all three types of valves, and you can then choose which type to install if you use their R10000 rough-in valve. Big box stores tend to sell the rough-in and trim in the same package, but at a plumbing supply store, they're separate. Personally, I like Grohe stuff, but have used Delta and it's fine, too.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok so I finally got around to cutting the tile around the fixture and I'm 100% sure that's it's all one piece now. If I remove that outer packing nut, just the nut comes out and the shaft stays in the fixture.
Turn the shaft, probably with a knob, in the same direction that you use to turn on the water.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
John Valletuto, Well the washers are 50 cents and since you are asking how to remove the stems understandably you might not have the skill or time to replace this valve with a modern one, I guess you may need to reconfigure the waste and overflow.
I'm going to say a grand for someone to do that maybe more. they will probably want to talk about a repipe as well
or you can try seats and washers. and get home for under 10 bucks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks