Can't pull out kitchen faucet spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Z

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just signed up to this nice forum. Hope you folks can give me some advice :)

I'm trying to pull out my faucet's spout in order to clean and lubricate it, because it no longer swivels from left to right. However, it is completely stuck to the center brass cylinder (see photo). After loosening the nut under the sink, I hit the brass cylinder with a hammer and I think I was able to bring it down by a few millimeters, but I still can't pull the spout out and I don't want to break something with the hammer.

It seems so tighly jammed I doubt any oil would be able to penetrate in between. I'm also concerned about having oil in drinking water afterwards.

I was thinking of removing the whole thing (spout + brass cylinder) and putting it outside (at -20 celsius!). The brass would shrink and would help separating the 2 parts. Do you think it would work? Any other suggestion?
Thanks!
Robert

Attachments

• spout_jammed.JPG
    spout_jammed.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 193

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking of removing the whole thing (spout + brass cylinder) and putting it outside (at -20 celsius!). The brass would shrink and would help separating the 2 parts. Do you think it would work?
If you put it outside, and then heat the outer piece with a torch so the outer piece could expand faster than the still-cold inner piece, that could help.

Any other suggestion?
If this is not of sentimental or antique value, and you don't find extra satisfaction fixing older stuff, consider replacing the unit.

If you want to fix it, you might post another photo that shows the whole thing including the spout. Somebody might recognize what you have. I am not a pro.

Robert Z

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.
The sink is a Steel Queen, but I don't see any brand name or logo anywhere on the faucet. Here's a picture of the faucet and the original sprayer. I hope someone can recognize it. It would be great if the company could replace it.

Attachments

• whole_faucet2.jpg
    whole_faucet2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 185
  • sprayer2.JPG
    sprayer2.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 179

Robert Z

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Update :
-Pfister confirmed it is the 533 series, but they won't replace it because I'm not the original buyer. Warranty doesn't transfer to a second homeowner.
-Unfortunately, cooling the cylinder and heating the outer piece didn't help. Striking again with a hammer, there was no movement at all.

Don't you think it's poor design... Chromed plastic rotating around threaded metal. It's like asking for formation of debris that will fill in the tiny space between the 2 pieces. No surprise they got stuck. I wonder if that kind of faucet needs regular disassembling and cleaning for that reason.

Attachments

• spout_around_cylinder_lowerExtremity.JPG
    spout_around_cylinder_lowerExtremity.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 150
  • spout_around_cylinder_upperExtremity.JPG
    spout_around_cylinder_upperExtremity.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 163

SWong

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Update :
-Pfister confirmed it is the 533 series, but they won't replace it because I'm not the original buyer. Warranty doesn't transfer to a second homeowner.
-Unfortunately, cooling the cylinder and heating the outer piece didn't help. Striking again with a hammer, there was no movement at all.

Don't you think it's poor design... Chromed plastic rotating around threaded metal. It's like asking for formation of debris that will fill in the tiny space between the 2 pieces. No surprise they got stuck. I wonder if that kind of faucet needs regular disassembling and cleaning for that reason.
If you are desperate for this why don't you just pay Pfister to ship out what you require on a cash or credit card basis? Where I'm from (New York City) "money talks"! If it were me, I'd changeout the whole faucet and be done with it. From the look's of you old faucet, you've gotten your money's worth out of it...just sayin'

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks