Cant prime my well, sandpoint, pipe inside casing Please HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

real

Reaction score
Hi There experts, I had a 1/2 hp jet pump go, and had to replace it. NOW, i cant get my shallow well to prime. The well is a 4 inch plastic casement, with a glavized 1.25 inch pipe sectioned together to a depth 25 ft i pour water down the pipe and it just runs away and i can never fill it to get the pump primed. What goin on? CAn i fill the caseement pipe around it and force water up the inner? there may be no foot valve or defective. Any ideas please? If this is sandpoint down there would it not have had a foot valve originally? its a good well and has water at the bottom but im afraid to pull up all the galvanised pipe up if i dont have too. Can anything be tried?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a shallow well jet pump with a single pipe from the pump to the well. The pipe goes down 25 ft from the top of the casing.

1. How far down is the water level from the top of the casing?
2.How far above the top of the casing is the pump?
The sum of those two numbers should be less than 25 feet.

I don't think that priming involves filling the drop pipe with water, but rather I think it involves feeding water to the pump. I have not actually done anything with such a pump.
discusses priming such a pump.

real

Reaction score
Are you saying a shall
You have a shallow well jet pump with a single pipe from the pump to the well. The pipe goes down 25 ft from the top of the casing.

1. How far down is the water level from the top of the casing?
2.How far above the top of the casing is the pump?
The sum of those two numbers should be less than 25 feet.

I don't think that priming involves filling the drop pipe with water, but rather I think it involves feeding water to the pump. I have not actually done anything with such a pump.
discusses priming such a pump.
Your foot valve is stuck open

If the foot valve is stuck is there anyway to free it without pulling all that metal pipe sections?

real

Reaction score
if the foot valve is stuck, is there anyway to free it without pulling up all the 1.25 galvanized pipe sections? its a 25 foot shallow well

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks