Can't move metal nut on toilet handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tarazed

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not a professional, just someone hoping to get things done myself and faster, rather than wait weeks and weeks for the superintendent of my apartment building to get around to it.

The handle on our toilet has been getting very loose lately, but is still attached to the chain and flapper. It's been causing the flapper to not sit squarely back into its hole, necessitating opening the tank and poking the flapper with a rod to push it back down.

I bought a new handle tonight, and went to take out the old one... it has a metal nut and threading, and the thing just won't budge at all. I made sure I'm turning it the proper direction (counter clockwise when looking at the handle from outside the tank), and nothing. It almost looks like the metal nut has corroded up against the porcelain of the tank.

The toilet says "Canadian Potteries Limited" just behind the seat, and the number on the back inside the tank is 24 10 64, and inside the top of the tank is 4 9 64, plus "Crane Canada 274".

Is there anything I can do to loosen that metal nut, or should I get my super to get a professional in? And can someone please explain what those numbers mean (more for my curiosity).

Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ran into this problem on my toilet a few years ago. The old handle broke and I had a deuce of time trying to get the darned thing off until somehow, maybe in desperation, I tried unscrewing to the left. Five minutes later, the job was finished and it lasted until I replaced the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks