Can't identify the pipe from my well

Users who are viewing this thread

Reznil

Reaction score
The house I bought has a patched together plumbing job and I am trying to do it over right. One problem is that the pressure tank is corroded and need replacement. OK, so I have a new 34 gallon Water Worker tank and a new tee with all the gadgets (pressure switch, gauge, release valve, check valve, ball valve, drain valve).

Now the issue: The black plastic pipe that comes out of the basement wall from the well. I would have to cut it and make a new connection. The problem is, I cannot identify the size. It has an OD of about 1 5/32 (1.15625 inch). I look at all the types of plastic (PVC, poly, ABS) pipes, and none of them have a diameter of that size. 3/4 would have an OD of 1.050 inch, 1 inch pipe should be 1.315 inch. I measured it carfully, and also did a circumference measurement to double-check. It has black plastice elbow connections on it, not threaded so I assume they are glued, so they must have been available at some time. A picture is attached. The pipe has no markings.

I just need to be able to make an elbow connection and pipe it to a 1 inch MPT. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• Pipe from well to pressure tank.jpg
    Pipe from well to pressure tank.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 962

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
I know the plumbing in my house was hard black pipe, this could be an option, I bought some SharkBite fittings to convert my black pipe back to Pex, so I could have some valves to turn my water off to work on something.

There are SharkBite fittings for different kinds of pipe, look at the ends on my picture to show the different colors for the different kinds of pipe.

Attachments

• 1443101109275.jpg
    1443101109275.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 761
  • P_20150924_081626.jpg
    P_20150924_081626.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 664

Reach4

Reaction score
Nominal 1 inch Copper Tube Size (CTS) tubes are 1.125 inches OD. This size is available in copper, CPVC, and maybe something else for all I know.

In your photo it looks like there is a pipe going through a wall on the left of the photo, and then there is the foreground pipe, which I think is what you are talking about.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Years ago, back in the 70's some guys used a super thin wall pipe for offsets and occasionally for pump installations. If that's what you have, you probably won't find the proper fittings.

Reznil

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you, you have been great helping out this newbie!

After some serious cleaning, and having my wife look at it with her better eyes, there are some markings on it. Cresline KL SWP, 1 inch ABS. The only reference from Google for Cresline KL was a 1961 ad for using it in sprinkler systems. Since it is 1 inch pipe and the OD is 1.156 instead of 1.315, I fear this is indeed the thin wall stuff that craigpump mentioned.

Since the OD is close to 1 inch copper, perhaps a 1 inch shark bite will work. I am hesitant to do this, because if it does not work what will I do?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
NOW would be the time to replace ALL of it before it fails and leaves you in a huge bind. Use 1" 160 psi poly for the water & 125psi poly for a conduit for the wires to the well and get this behind you.

Reznil

Reaction score
Thank you for talking sense, I should do the extra work and do it right. Connecting to that thin, 50 year old ABS pipe would just be dumb.

It is only 7 feet from the house, about 4 feet down, still a lot of digging for me.

Most of the rolls of poly I see are 100 feet, would it be better to just use schedule 40 PVC for this?

I would be willing to get the roll of poly if it would be better, I think I would just get the 200 psi for everything to be sure. Any cheap source for shorter lengths?

Thanks!

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rent a small excavator from Taylor Rental. For pipe call a local pump guy, everyone has cut off pieces of poly lying around. Put new wire in too...

Don't use pvc, the ground moves too much due to the frost and the pvc will break.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've done it with Wirsbo or Uponor as some call it. I wouldn't use the other Pex because the fittings have smaller ID's

Reznil

Reaction score
Thank you all so much, it is done!

My wife and I worked on this. We dug out the line from the pitless adaptor to the house, about 3 feet down and 8 feet long. A lot of shoveling for people who work a desk job! We will be sore for a week.

The ground had a lot of huge rocks, with a lot of sharp rocks all around the old pipe. However, somehow the old pipe looked fine. We replaced it with 1" pex. Where the line went through the stone foundation wall, I used 1 1/4" sched 40 PVC pipe as a protective sleeve. We packed the new pipe with soil with the rocks carefully removed, covering it about an inch. Then we put 2 inches of XPS, about a foot off to each side. The old pipe never froze, but the recommended depth around here is about 4 feet and the pipe is only 3 feet down, so I thought I should add this. Then we filled it in with the soil, minus the rocks of course.

Replaced the wiring as well, used Titan liquidtight metal counduit and fittings.

I had bought pex 90 degree angle braces, but did not need them. The natural bend in the roll was perfect to get them to the new tank. The old pipe had two elbows before the tank, then 5 more for the water filter and UV sterilizer. Was able to to it all with no elbows.

Have a new Water Worker 32 gallon tank. I bought a complete, all stainless steel tee kit, really good quality stuff.

Piped it in to the crummy, haphazard plumbing of my house, a mix of old steel and copper pipes that go in crazy directions. Really looking forward to replacing it with pex, but I can only go so long without water in the house. That will be a good indoor winter project, have more outdoor projects I need to get done before the freezing weather sets in.

I shocked the well with bleach, first time I have done that. After running each faucet until I smelled bleach, I let it sit for 24 hours and then flushed it all out. Combined with the new sanitary cap I installed and extending the well casing 12 inches (it was at ground level) I think the water will be cleaner than it ever was.

Feeling good to have it all done, and very thankful for the help here!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks