Can't get water to be soft again - replaced almost everything

Users who are viewing this thread

dducic

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a GE GXSF30H water softener system. A couple of months ago, I stopped getting soft water out of the system. Here's what I did to fix it:
  • I took it apart and saw that one of the screw stems on the valve body had broken, causing the valve body to tilt forward and not allow the cam to properly engage the motor gears. I replaced the valve body and the seals between the valve body and rotor, cleaned everything and put it back together. Still no soft water.
  • I ran a diagnostic to test the turbine, which was working fine.
  • I checked both the switch and motor to make sure they were engaged and working, which they are.
  • Since the unit is about 10 years old, I then went ahead and replaced the resin beads, along with the venturi, and then added 4 gallons of water to regenerate. Still no soft water.
  • There are no clogs in the brinewell, no leaks at any of the joints with o-rings and seals, so salt bridges, and the float assembly is working perfectly. Additionally, the control board is showing no signs of malfunctioning or errors.
At this point, I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem but it's driving me crazy - any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
~David

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It is a disposable unit, unfortunately it is difficult to recommend wasting time and money chasing problems on these units that were intended to be replaced regularly. Other than tearing it apart and carefully inspecting every piece of plastic, seal etc... I don't have too much advice to give. I used to work on those units but found I was chasing problems too much and customers did not want to pay for the needed repairs.

dducic

Reaction score
Ok, I had a feeling that was the case but wanted to confirm. I can probably sell the old unit for parts and get back most of the $150 I invested in it, and then install a new one.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!

Old

Reaction score
Check the distributor to valve o-ring. If it's missing or broken hard water will bypass the resin and you will never have soft water. It's a common problem on these. It's the small part# 3 in this diagram.
G0606295-00001.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks