Can't get supply elbow flush with tile.

Users who are viewing this thread

crabby_old_dude

Reaction score
I'm just about finished installing a new tile shower and I'm having trouble installing the decorative supply elbow so that it is flush with the tile.

A 2 inch nipple is too short to thread and a 2 1/2 is too long, it sits off the tile about a 1/4 inch. The rough in is fixed to a 2x4 so it does not move.

I searched around and don't see any in-between sizes for these. I haven't inquired yet, but I don't think my box store can thread a pipe this short.

I am working with 1/2 inch galvanized pipe, similarly I see the same sizes for brass.

Are there any tricks to making this work? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Use a brass nipple if you can. Maybe you can find one that threads in further, they're not all the same. These things have always been in 1/2" increments, and normally you can turn them tighter or looser and get it where you want it. Not all the time though. Grohe used to make an elbow that gave some leeway. But I think the bean counters decided that a penny here or there was worth more than our wasted time on jobs.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm just about finished installing a new tile shower and I'm having trouble installing the decorative supply elbow so that it is flush with the tile.

A 2 inch nipple is too short to thread and a 2 1/2 is too long, it sits off the tile about a 1/4 inch...
I ran into the same problem. Generally with tapered pipe thread you can get a few more turns on it after it is tight enough to seal but the decorative supply elbow thread bottomed out. What I had to do was to take a little off the ends of the nipple.

A brass nipple is soft enough to deform when tightening allowing a few more turns. You could try running it into a couple of iron fittings first.

As Terry said, there can be some variability in manufacturing so try a few different ones.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could use copper pipe with threaded fittings on each end soldered to the pipe.

You do not want to use galvanized pipe...it WILL rust eventually. When they cut the pipe and then thread it, it exposes the steel to rust. Brass or copper is what you want.

crabby_old_dude

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice.

A 2" brass pipe ended up working out. The 2 1/2 was just a wee bit too long and would not tighten down anymore. The brass nipple did not have a taper like the galvanized pipe did and allowed it to grip on. The last half twist was really tight, not the threads bottoming out, but squeezing the elbow against the wall.

I capped it, turned the water on overnight and checked for leaks and it looked okay. I had the base board in the closet behind the shower removed and I was able to cut an inspection hole in the drywall to peek at the bottom plate.

IMG_20200306_225535.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks