Can't get help with toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

DrewinNC

Reaction score
Hey, I'm in need of help with a toilet issue. I updated my main bathroom and the toilet was working fine. My sister and her kids visited recently and the toilet seemed clogged. I plunged it and snaked it to no avail. She has little ones so I assumed one of them flushed something they shouldn't have or it was "flushable" wipes clogging it.

I removed the toilet and flushed it with the hose outside. Everything seemed fine there. I replaced the wax ring with a new one and put it back in place. The toilet will flush once every now and then but will then not flush and water comes close to the edge without overflowing. The water then drains out slowly down past its normal level.

When the toilet was off I snaked the drain line and even put the hose through the window down the drain. In 10 seconds or so the water backed up towards where the toilet would be. Any help would be appreciated. I have been putting main line cleaner down the toilet for 3 days now.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm in need of help with a toilet issue. I updated my main bathroom and the toilet was working fine. My sister and her kids visited recently and the toilet seemed clogged. I plunged it and snaked it to no avail. She has little ones so I assumed one of them flushed something they shouldn't have or it was "flushable" wipes clogging it.

I removed the toilet and flushed it with the hose outside. Everything seemed fine there. I replaced the wax ring with a new one and put it back in place. The toilet will flush once every now and then but will then not flush and water comes close to the edge without overflowing. The water then drains out slowly down past its normal level.

When the toilet was off I snaked the drain line and even put the hose through the window down the drain. In 10 seconds or so the water backed up towards where the toilet would be. Any help would be appreciated. I have been putting main line cleaner down the toilet for 3 days now.

So -- when you put the hose into the drain, with the toilet off, the drain still backed up in 10 seconds? Then it's not a clogged toilet -- it's a clogged main line.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I didn't read your post very well. If the main line can't even take water, you will need to find someone with a mainline snake. Not a homeowner job.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have been putting main line cleaner down the toilet for 3 days now.
Stop that if that is strong stuff with scary warnings. Flush that away for safety as best you can. And warn the drain cleaning person.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did the remodeling involve any tiling? Did you dump the buckets down the drain verses outside?

DrewinNC

Reaction score
No I didn't touch any lines coming in or out of the bathroom. It was only the second time I've remodeled a bath. I made sure to cover the drains while tearing down and installing the tile. All other drains seem to be fine except the washer drain backed up a little the same day. It's had issues before when I would use powder detergent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks