Can't get drain to reach pipe for thick bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

John Bukoski

Reaction score
Made the mistake of unscrewing the drain to clean out the drain pipe on an old bathtub. The drain is going through a thick jacuzzi tub. I can't get the drain (which is the standard 1 3/8" long, 1 1/2" diameter) to thread back onto the PVC pipe because the tub is too thick. Even without plumbers putty, I can only get the first thread to start to catch and when I turn to tighten it becomes loose. I've tried on line and calling various supply stores looking for a longer drain and called jacuzzi and one of their suppliers with no luck.

Does anyone have a solution or suggestion?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I understand your problem correctly, you can buy waste and overflow trim off the rack at Depot that has a threaded adapter that allows you to adapt the smaller diameter drain into the larger diameter shoe. This could act as an extender for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks