Can't find water pump filter

Users who are viewing this thread

will66

Reaction score
Hi guys, I bought a house a month ago and it has a well pump under the house. I'm new to using well water and can't find the water filter...the water stopped last night in the house and by the wired shop after I used a water hose attached to a handle pump out by the wired shop...We flipped all the breakers and it would only stay on for awhile if I turned the breaker for the hot water heater off....we left both off all last night and for now everything is running fine....I'm pretty sure I have a short somewhere in the wired shop but want to see if the filter is dirty. Could the pressure of having the water hose running without using it cause too much pressure? And if it goes out again should I call a plumber OR an electrician? Thanks!

will66

Reaction score
pump under house

Attachments

• 20210518_184400.jpg
    20210518_184400.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 157

Reach4

Reaction score
.I'm pretty sure I have a short somewhere in the wired shop but want to see if the filter is dirty. Could the pressure of having the water hose running without using it cause too much pressure? And if it goes out again should I call a plumber OR an electrician?
Consider a well service person.

What is a "wired shop"?

You have two sets of pictures. One has a pressure tank and pressure switch in a crawlspace. The other has a pressure tank and pressure switch outdoors. Are these serving the same well? Do you know which pressure switch is in use?

will66

Reaction score
A wired shop is a garage behind my house...the one under the house is the active one I think....maybe the one in the yard is an older one...I'm really not sure

Reach4

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the pressure switch outside and pressure tank outside are active. Is the other one active, maybe controlling a booster of some sort, or is controlling a different well?

Check these voltages on the crawl space pressure switch terminals:
between 1 and 4; expect 240 if active
between 2 and 3; expect 240 while the pump is running

Bannerman

Reaction score
Many well systems have no filters and I see no filter in any if the photos you posted.

Your well pump is submersible, located at the bottom of the well. Unless your water system is utilizing another pump for some reason , such as to boost pressure (should not normally be needed) or to pump water from a cistern, the pressure tank and pressure switch under the house should not be needed or utilized.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't see any filters either. The pressure switch at the pump should not be in use. Open the cover and post a pic of how it is wired. Most likely your pump stopped from tripping the overload in the motor. This happens when using a hose or something that causes the pump to cycle on and off a lot. The Cycling tripped the overload. They are "automatic" overloads and will reset themselves in a few minutes and water will just come back on. It will automatically reset until the motor is burned up. This is how they make cycling the pump a sure way to sell you a new pump every few years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks