Users who are viewing this thread

Nate2

Reaction score
I have a builder-grade framed shower enclosure that is leaking water near bottom drywall and baseboard. Shower is 14 years old. I recapped suspected area on and around shower door and frames with clear silicone and then after drying 3 days water tested area and it did not leak. I thought I I fixed the issue because I took a shower and it did not leak but once both myself and my wife took separate showers it started leaking again. I think it has something to do with something being clogged up and length of shower time. I have researched that weep holes could be clogged up but I'm not sure if I have weep holes in the drain see attached pictures. I have an old Oatley Caspers drain with black rubber gasket on top but no weep holes I'm wondering if weep holes are up under black gasket but I'm afraid to lift it and damage it. Note: Water seapage on drywall appears slowly after 3 to 4 hours of is both showering and then re-
IMG_20191202_111903.jpg
IMG_20191202_111929.jpg
IMG_20191202_111910.jpg
IMG_20191202_112045.jpg
dries
Any suggestions?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The leak is from above! Water flows downhill, not up. Is the shower faucet on that end? If it is check the shower arm coming out of the wall. If not the leak is behind the wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
Test ideas:
  1. remove the shower head. Attach a hose, and run water down the toilet. Make sure no leak water appears. Kink the hose a little, keeping your attachment method in mind. If you attached the hose with worm gear hose clamps, you might even be able to block the hose completely. Better yet, use a 1/2" Female NPT to 3/4" Male GHT Garden Hose Thread to Female Pipe Adapter
    s-l64.jpg
    with a garden hose.
  2. Presuming no leak detected in #1, run the hose down the shower drain.
  3. Presuming no leak detected in #2, run the hose to the shower base but not onto the shower door area
  4. Presuming no leak detected in #3, run the hose to various places around the surround. Realize that it can take some time for a given leak to make its way to the floor.
A shower arm is about 0.82 inches OD. You might be able to stretch 3/4 inch ID hose over that, or might be able to clamp down 7/8 inch (0.875) ID hose over that. but the garden hose adapter would make that a lot easier.

Last edited:

Nate2

Reaction score
Thanks your replies. No , shower is not on that end. I did try and have a plumber check it out (while he was replacing shower valve) but he recommend I get a shower install company to look at it. Note: This isnot a water leak but slower seapage somewhere after taking shower for extended period of time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks