Can't find 8-point valve handle for washing machine supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

TooWet

Reaction score
This seems like the simplest problem, but I need some help. I have hot and cold water supplying my clothes washer, house built in 1979. The plastic handle for one of the valves has cracked and won't turn the stem.

The stem has 8 splines and the handle has 8 matching grooves (or maybe the grooves are the splines, but you know what I mean.) It's a NIBCO valve. The handle is a blue plastic wheel with a wavy circumference and 6 spokes, but I'll settle for anything that will fit the stem.

The only handles I can find online fit square shafts, or they are called 16-point or 12-point, with 16 or 12 little bumps inside the circle. Maybe if it's plastic I can use a soldering iron to burn off 8 bumps and leave 8 more, but that doesn't seem like the right way to fix it, or that it would even fit.

I've looked on webistes of HomeDepot, Lowes, Amazon, Ace, and Ferguson Plumbing Supply (Feguson's has NIBCO parts but not this.)

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Valve is probably obsolete. If u can pull the other handle or take a pic of the stem. Need to places like restore by habitat, old style hardware store or plumbing supply in a old neighborhood. Any plumber or maintenance man that replaced one it either went in the trash or scrap bucket.
Could pick up threaded ball valve and two fittings what ever thread size of valve x male hose thread, x female hose thread screw it on the vale and open it. Be sure to pick up some hose end gaskets.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks