Can’t figure this out leaking PRV rising pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

mrm143

Reaction score
Can I put the new ball valve where the red circle is? I’m going to leave the old gate valve due to access issues it would be easier to install on the other pipe. Would that be ok?

The yellow are the existing gate valve and fill valve
Just turned off the main water drained a little pressure. Then turned house back on and boiler pressure went up even with gate valve closed. So looks like I’m gonna run and get a ball valve

mrm143

Reaction score
Just turned off the main water drained a little pressure. Then turned house back on and boiler pressure went up even with gate valve closed. So looks like I’m gonna run and get a ball valve
Actually gonna put it in the red circle. The existing is where the yellow tag is hanging. Same pipe just closer to the expansion tank and easier Access.

Attachments

• DD2E3438-BC26-4AC0-9DE6-AB27882ED480.jpeg
    DD2E3438-BC26-4AC0-9DE6-AB27882ED480.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 176

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Can I put the new ball valve where the red circle is? I’m going to leave the old gate valve due to access issues it would be easier to install on the other pipe. Would that be ok?

The yellow are the existing gate valve and fill valve

It's impossible to tell from the picture what pipes are what, and the relative locations of things relative to the flow and the boiler, even if it were possible to unweave that ball of plumbing in a 2-D picture. But anywhere upstream of the auto-fill valve is fine, even if you leave the old gate valve in place.

mrm143

Reaction score
It's impossible to tell from the picture what pipes are what, and the relative locations of things relative to the flow and the boiler, even if it were possible to unweave that ball of plumbing in a 2-D picture. But anywhere upstream of the auto-fill valve is fine, even if you leave the old gate valve in place.
I’m sorry lol. It would be downstream? Meaning closer to the boiler after the fill valve. Which shouldn’t matter I don’t think if I’m just keeping it off anyway

mrm143

Reaction score
New ball valve installed and all 3 zones bled. Pressure at around 14psi and holding. I will let you know as the days progress how it held up.

mrm143

Reaction score
Now I actually have low pressure. Had to open up the valve and let some water in to bump it up a bit. So far so good

mrm143

Reaction score
Everything is holding steady from last night. Looks like we fixed it. Moral of the story is that apparently two valves CAN be bad as rare as it is.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 173
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks