Can't build a plumber's box because of HVAC duct - other solutions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Md9918

Reaction score
Still early in the reno process and can play with the layout a bit. My space is 11'3" x 5. Formerly 1.5 baths, merging to a single full bath. Took up the subfloor and quickly realized that my planned layout wasn't going to work.

Here's the plan:

Plan A.jpg

Below is where I planned to put the 30" tub/shower (despite tub in the picture, I'm thinking a standard alcove tub and shower), but of course the first stud next to the left of the old toilet flange is at exactly 16", to the left of that is a 5.5" x 8" HVAC duct, which prevents me from doing a plumber's box. (I am not responsible for any existing plumbing/framing-- I'm guessing a handyman special). You can see just in front of my feet there's a "step down" to accommodate the original plumbing. But closer to my feet, the ceiling returns to normal height. The joists are 2x8.

IMG_20220122_181621.jpg

Here's the whole space (before I pulled up the subfloor). That's a 3" stack dividing the rooms-- I'm going to cut it off below and run it up to the attic in the wall to the left.

IMG_20220115_180516.jpg

After realizing I couldn't do a plumber's box, I considered this layout:

Plan B.jpg

Perfect, except, as you can see, there's a window straddling the tub (there's 18" on either side of the window).

What are my options here? So far, the only thing I can think of is putting the tub on a small platform to accommodate the plumbing. I could also move the duct over one joist and make a plumbers box, but that would mean 1) finding 5.5" x 8" duct/connectors and 2) installing a new register in the master bedroom in a less than ideal location (behind a bed).

Stuck here. Hope you guys have some ideas-- e.g., tub with some sort of nonstandard drain, some sort of shower curtain solution for my alternate arrangement of fixtures, some sort of third arrangement of the fixtures I hadn't considered.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are all different ways to heat a room. I don't think a vent would stop me. Its just a matter of what YOU want to do.

Md9918

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne-- I was just about to add that I could go with a narrower tub. The above floor drain is exactly the kind of solution I was looking for, and that one you posted the link for is actually pretty good looking-- thanks!

Md9918

Reaction score
Well if anyone else runs into this problem, it turns out Oceania makes standard size tubs that have off-center drains. Their Pure 6030 drain is 13 7/8" o.c., which should just work in my situation. https://www.oceania-attitude.com/data/baths/alcove/pure/1186

It's about $300 more than the Kohler I wanted to buy, and it has an integrated apron, which I'm not crazy about, but it beats the alternatives.

Edited to add: Kohler makes a version of the 30" Underscore with a drain 14" o.c. as well for much less than the Oceania tub. But I ended up going with a standard 32" tub, bumping the wall out 2" such that the drain falls exactly in the narrow gap between the joist and the vent duct.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well if anyone else runs into this problem, it turns out Oceania makes standard size tubs that have off-center drains. Their Pure 6030 drain is 13 7/8" o.c., which should just work in my situation. https://www.oceania-attitude.com/data/baths/alcove/pure/1186
FWIW, that drain is centered in the bathing well. The tub just has a wide deck on the outer side.

If for some reason you prefer Sterling, the first tub I linked to is only 1/8" different in drain location, and only 1/4" narrower in width of bathing well at the top (24" vs 24-1/4"). So at 29" total width it must have a less wide deck on the outer side. It is smaller in volume, 35 gallons vs 45 gallons.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks