Cannot shutoff water to the toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

abhiroopb

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just moved into a new apartment and I'm trying to install a simple hand bidet (see attached photo).
how-to-install.jpg

Unfortunately in my new apartment I cannot figure out how to shutoff the water. Here is what I see from the water feeder (see attached photo).

Unlike other toilets, there's no simple valve to shutoff the water supply to the toilet.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20180915_082406.jpg
    IMG_20180915_082406.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 172

rnparamedic69

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just moved into a new apartment and I'm trying to install a simple hand bidet (see attached photo).
how-to-install.jpg

Unfortunately in my new apartment I cannot figure out how to shutoff the water. Here is what I see from the water feeder (see attached photo).

Unlike other toilets, there's no simple valve to shutoff the water supply to the toilet.

Any ideas?
Looks like some removed the handle from the shutoff valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ask the landlord? There is a good chance he will get the stop valve replaced.

Either that, or he will suggest that you grab the shaft with locking pliers. You could do that yourself, but it would be better to have the landlord suggest or at least approve it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think borrowing a handle from the lav is a good idea. That and getting the compression stop replaced is good too.
Or buy a new handle like mentioned above.

abhiroopb

Reaction score
Thanks guys. That's really helpful.

Advice from the landlord has been to hire a licensed plumber. I think he's afraid there will be flooding or similar. It looks simple enough to turn with the locking pliers, but I'd rather not risk it and end up with a flooded bathroom.

Thanks again for the help! Happy to donate if that's still an option .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Where I live, in a multi-family dwelling (like an apartment complex), the only entity that can legally touch any plumbing is a licensed plumber. Because so many units may be interconnected, messing up something in one could affect the health of many others. Admittedly, the task of replacing the valve is pretty simple in most cases, there's always the possibility of messing it up and causing damage. A licensed plumber would (likely) have liability insurance in case he messes up. FWIW, your unit may not have a separate shutoff, so they would have to shut water off to the building, or may be floor, that could get messy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks