Cannot remove handle

Users who are viewing this thread

cbisher

Reaction score
Main problem: No hot water when handle is turned for bathtub. Both sinks and shower in same bathroom have no issues with hot water.

So I am trying to remove the handle and proceed. Planning on just taking the inside to Home Depot and replacing it all. But I cannot get the handle off. Small cap pops off on top. The handle will unscrew, but that doesn't help me at all. I tried twisting the base of the handle and it would not budge. (Didn't want to break it.) No set screws on the outside. Corrosion on inside - cleaned out. I see a hole but no sides for allen wrench, slots for screw driver, etc. The very top as 3 slots that look like it would accept some sort of 3 prong tool/wrench, but searching for that I cannot find anything. Pictures attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Christian

Attachments

• 20140329_081955.jpg
    20140329_081955.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 2014-03-29 08.21.23.jpg
    2014-03-29 08.21.23.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 324

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Normally, when there is a cap that "pops off" there is a retaining screw under it, but yours does not seem to have one, although the stem appears to be tapped for a screw. The handle may be "captive" and comes off when unscrew the base, which probably just takes a little more force.

Sluggo

Reaction score
It may also help to spray some WD40 into the hole a couple of times and let it set for 20-30 minutes. Then rap the handle lightly with a wooden or rubber mallet while wiggling the handle back and forth. This may break the corroded fit between the handle and the stem.

Looking at your picture, my concern is whether there is a screw -- possibly hex head -- inside the center hole with a stripped head. If that is the case, it would complicate things quite a bit. Do you have other handles (like for hot and cold water) that you can look at to see if there is evidence of a head in better shape?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks