Cannot remove closet bolts - toilet install

Users who are viewing this thread

237user

Reaction score
Hi

Ran into a problem replacing my toilet. Previous owner installed an extender on the flange as the flange is about an inch below the floor. However, I cannot remove the bolts as it appears as though the extender was installed over the bolts so the keyhole is partially covered by the extender. Unfortunately, the current bolts are too short to use for the new toilet. Any ideas on how to remove the bolts? They're loose and I was able to pull of a washer from one of them using pliers but there does not seem to be enough space to pull out the bolts. I guess right now I prefer to not cut the extender but if I have to, what would be the best method to cut out the bolts? Seems like a worse problem is putting new bolts in if I cut the current bolts to make it easier to remove. Attached a photo.

Thank you!

IMG_20210120_235936.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is the old flange cast iron? A possibility is to install a repair flange over it. You may need to cut the bolts off but can't tell if they'll be in the way for new flange bolts. The repair flange can be anchored down using the other holes. If it is wood under the flange it's easy. Concrete a hammer drill may be needed but either way, you'll need to drill through the old flange of it is metal or CI. A repair ring with tabs would be better if the old flange is metal that should extend past the old flange.

shopping
superior-tool-repair-clamps-21015-64_145.jpg

237user

Reaction score
The Old Flange is ABS. I am thinking this is the only way other than using oscillator tool to cut around the bolts to increase the space. I can drill through ABS flange and stack repair flange over the extender?

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you try prying up on the white spacer, with a flat blade screwdriver? However it may be glued down with silicone adhesive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks