Cannot remove a kitchen faucet: the under-counter nut is inside a can

Users who are viewing this thread

morzh

Reaction score
Hi!
I am in a quandary: my old faucet wend bad and I cannot seem to remove it.
I bought a standard one-hole faucet with 1-1/2" stem.
Now when trying to remove the old faucet I found that underneath the counter instead of a wide nut there is a metal can that the hot/cold pipes and the pull-out hose go through. The pull-out hose goes through a long threaded metal pipe and then a nut goes over it. This pipe is about 1/2" in diameter and it seems that this what holds the can (and the faucet) against the counter.
The can kinda looks like the one in here. Except as I said, the nut goes over the hose, not net to it.
https://www.grainger.com/product/SUPERIOR-TOOL-Universal-Faucet-Wrench-with-45W754
So I pulled out the hose but there is no tool that would fit the nut and is long enough to go over the threaded pipe through which the hose was going and reach the nut. The can is too deep and narrow for me to reach the nut with pliers.
So, first I thought of simply trying to break off the part of the faucet that is over the counter, but then it occured to me that the hole through the counter might not be 1-1/2" but might be the same 1/2" for that metal pipe to fit through, and then I would be stuck with the old faucet broken and the new not fitting through, and without water supply in the kitchen.
Any advice? Really could use some help here.
Best
Mike.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a picture 800 pixels or less.
Without seeing what you have, sometimes I drill out the nut if I can't get a wrench on it.
There is a faucet from Costco that removes from the top, so until I see what you have, I'm still guessing. If you have a kitchen sink, the holes will be standard. I don't know of any faucets that use non-standard holes.

This Moen faucet uses their own tool for the nut. Sort of a deep socket.

moen-renzo-3.jpg

moen-renzo-4.jpg

moen-renzo-5.jpg

moen-renzo-6.jpg

moen-118305-tool.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
45W754_AS02

What are you calling a can?

You might post a photo of the nut you are trying to access.

morzh

Reaction score
Terry!

this is EXACTLY what I have! You do not need the photo - this is it.
Have to tell you (I had Moens before and loved them) - this is a crappy Moen, if this is what I have. Cheap plastic.
So, next question is: if I were to, well, manhandle that thin and break away the top and then maybe it would fall down (if it is even possible), what kind of hole does it use? Would my 1-1/2" new faucet fit through it?

How about a picture 800 pixels or less.
Without seeing what you have, sometimes I drill out the nut if I can't get a wrench on it.
There is a faucet from Costco that removes from the top, so until I see what you have, I'm still guessing. If you have a kitchen sink, the holes will be standard. I don't know of any faucets that use non-standard holes.

This Moen faucet uses their own tool for the nut. Sort of a deep socket.

moen-renzo-3.jpg

morzh

Reaction score
Reach4,

Terry just posted what I have. Looks exactly the same. Since the photo is taken axial to the outer cylinder (what I called the can) I cannot tell if it is as deep as mine, might be the same.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm sure the hole in the counter will work.
I sometimes put on eye protection and using a drill bit, take a part of the nut out. Then I can drop it off the threads.

moen-renzo-2.jpg

Last edited:

morzh

Reaction score
I'm sure the hole in the counter will work.
I sometimes put on eye protection and using a drill bit, take a part of the nut out. Then I can drop it off the threads.

Terry

So what is under that can? What centers it all to the hole? The threaded tube is narrow.

morzh

Reaction score
OK< here's a Moen I found.
https://www.moen.com/shared/docs/product-specifications/87017sp.pdf

If you look at it, it seems that the hole is sized for the threaded tube, it's not the 1-1/2" . This document is not very good but it is from Moen website.
If this is what I think it won't work for a standard faucet.
It says designed for 1-1/2" holes, but the picture shows something different. Or I misinterpret it.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are 3 water pipes and the hollow bolt in the 1.5 inch hole. All of that helps to center the faucet over the hole. The base of the faucet is probably 2 inches.

morzh

Reaction score
Thanks guys, you put my mind to rest.
A friend might have the tool; if not it is $10 online.
Best

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks