cannot get water out of cistern

Users who are viewing this thread

Selgea

Reaction score
We have a 10,000 gallon cistern and 3 days ago it ran out ofwater unfortunately it is the ONLY water source for the house. We do have a guy who comes and filles it when needed but only 1000 gallons. We have run out before occasionally we had to prime the pump, which we did this time. The pump runs constantly and we cannot get any water to the house. There is water coming to the pump which I found out when a hose came off, i replced the hose. I checked to make sure the valves to the house hadnt been closed and it was not. It is like it pumps to the pump, but then will not reach the house, as though theres a blockage. Where do I go from here?

Selgea

Reaction score
Pump

It is quite possible, when water ran out wife left pump running for possibly hours. I came home and heard it running generaly it runs in short bursts. This time it was running for awile. However when I undid the piperunning to the pump I was surprised to be showered with quite alot of water, which to me would say its pumping something just not going where it should.

Selgea

Reaction score
What I'am doing now is taking all the hosees from the pump off to see if it is pumping or not inbetween talking here...where the pump is is not a fun place to get into or work. I'am re-priming the pump then in about 10 minutes after making sure there are no leaks I'm going to check if the pump is pulling water from the cistern. If that is working I can only suspect that there is some sort of blockage in the line out from the pump. However it wouldnt be the pump because I took the out put off as well and it flows fine.

Selgea

Reaction score
OK there is water coming from the pump although I have no pressure 10 right now. I'm going to let it run and see if it builds up. i forgot to mention one thing that might have been important. When we primed the pump after getting the cistern filled one of the black PVC pipes out from the pmp burst! I've seen them split, crack but this actually put a hole as though it bubbled out till it broke. Back to the pump...as I said it is running but it doesnt sound well either. It goes from sounding normal to almost a straining sound. Since this is the only water source we cant turn it off unless absolutely imperitive. How long should it take for the sytem to build up pressure?

Selgea

Reaction score
Not much else to do till tomarrow now anyway...cant take a shower. Unfortuanely by the time I could get to anywhere to get a pump they would be closed(ACE etc.) & since I'm babysitting (sorta) till 8 I wont be able to get to Lowes either.
In any case why am I not getting water to the toilet but everything else is fine?
Funny thing is that the pump has actually started working ok nomore over heating ..but still no toilet water

Selgea

Reaction score
I havent taken the toilet valve apart yet, had to make dinner for he kids! I'm still not getting anything in the toilet.
The cistern has a jet pick-up, which I know becaue since it was empty I went down there to get out somethings my 7 yr old had put in it. I push on it to see how well it was working and it was fine. However since I'm having problems with the toilet it makes me wonder if this thing is picking up pebbles. I found pepples in that pipe I had to replace. Yet Everything else is working fine!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks