Cannot find my PRV valve Help Please

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem as the previous posters. No one can find our PRV. We just moved into a new home that's around 40 years old. We've had two different plumbers come in and say that our problem was the PRV and it needs to be replaced but they can't find it. They tried following the water line from the street to the house, crawlspace, and in the house. We asked the person who sold us the house and he thought it was near the back of the garage but no one could find it there either. Looking for any tips on how we can find this thing.
What makes you think you have a PRV? how did plumber diagnose the bad prv?

Davis90

Reaction score
What makes you think you have a PRV? how did plumber diagnose the bad prv?
The water pressure in the house was 90 psi and the temperature pressure relief drain was dumping hot water. They never located it and put in a new PRV in the yard. That solved the problem but I am concerned about the possibility of having 2 PRVs. I’ve heard conflicting info about this. It doesn’t help that one plumber said “you’ll know where it is when it starts leaking.”

Reach4

Reaction score
The water pressure in the house was 90 psi and the temperature pressure relief drain was dumping hot water. They never located it and put in a new PRV in the yard. That solved the problem but I am concerned about the possibility of having 2 PRVs. I’ve heard conflicting info about this. It doesn’t help that one plumber said “you’ll know where it is when it starts leaking.”
Just dumping hot water does not necessarily mean there was a PRV. Instead there could just be a check valve at or inside of the water meter.

If there is a hidden PRV, the problem symptom I think would more likely to be a pressure drop. PRVs usually have a screen, and if that got clogged, you would get excessive pressure drop at higher flows.

Does the new PRV have a way to measure pressure in the yard box after the PRV? Also, you might note the make and model of the PRV now while the information is more readily available.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Davis 90 90 psi shouldn't cause T&P to spit water nothing I've read leads to the proof of a pressure reducing valve . I cant tell you a chest full of gold isn't buried in your yard or a PRV

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks