Cannot figure out how to adjust tank water level

Users who are viewing this thread

watertight

Reaction score
cimarron.png

I have a Kohler Cimarron that was installed this summer. Since installation, water occasionally flows from the fill tube into the overflow pipe. If I lift on the float rod slightly, this does not happen. It seems as though I need to raise or lower the water level in the tank. Every set of instructions I have found say to raise or lower the c-clip. However, I cannot find a c-clip like any of the ones pictured. None of the parts on the float rod seem movable.

Is my float defective, or is there something I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sounds like the valve is not shutting off properly. It may be time to service or replace. Not sure if that toilet can use a generic filler. If it can, then a Fluidmaster or Korky fill valve are readily available for around $10, and my be more than worth the effort. One of the pros would likely know. If you have a picture of the thing, that would help.

Many of the old float on an arm valves is threaded on, you can make it longer so it then applies more pressure to the shutoff, but once that starts, it's probably time to fix or replace rather than muck around. Sometimes, you can bend the arm down a little, too.

watertight

Reaction score
I'll post a picture after work. In the meantime, I just realized something else that now makes me wonder what the problem is. It seems as though this problem occurs in two different scenarios. The first is when other water is used, such as turning on the washing machine or flushing the toilet in the downstairs bathroom. The other time was when I thought nothing provoked it, but I was just watching it now during one of these "unprovoked" times and I noticed the bowl did fill a little. Maybe I got a toilet with defective guts, but it certainly hasn't affected performance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your water pressure could be higher than suggested, as well. You may need to service or install an pressure relief valve and an expansion tank. Excessive pressure can overwhelm some valves. You can buy an inexpensive pressure gage for around $10 that will screw onto your hose bib, or washing machine connection, or elsewhere with adapters. You may want to check that. If it gets over 80 pounds, you should think about reducing it. Check it after running some hot water while the WH is running...if you have a check valve, the pressure can rise and the weakest link leaks (which may be the toilet valve).

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
If you have a float-ball type fill valve with a brass rod, you can bend the rod in the middle with your hands to add pressure by lowering the ball toward the tank water to adjust the tank water level (should be about 1/2" below top of overflow pipe).
If it is a float-cup type fill valve, pinch the c-clip on the little verticle rod beside the cup and slide it up to raise or down to lower to adjust the water level.
If you are having the toilet valve come on when it has not been flushed, that normally just means that you need to replace the flapper. They may look fine, but the flapper rubber gets weak and they don't close tightly. Cut out the round rubber part of the new flapper (supposed to go over the overflow pipe) and use the little rubber "ears" on the flapper to attach the flapper to the two little L-shaped brackets at the bottom of the overflow pipe. Flappers usually work better that way.
Adjust the flapper chain to where it just allows the flapper to fully close.
Good luck!
Mike

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cimarron_inside_tank.jpg

The Cimarron uses a Fluidmaster fill valve.
Most of them use a thin wire and a metal clip that bends around the wire.
That clip can be moved up or down.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
c clip

The "C" clip is the metal U shaped device on the small wire that holds the float. Squeeze the two sides together and then raise or lower it depending on which way the water level has to go.

watertight

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! The inside of the tank looks a lot like the pictures Terry posted, except that it is all plastic:

cimarron.png

There are no metal clips. The black plastic vertical arm is attached with two plastic clips, but neither is movable and I can't find any way to adjust them.

I'll be checking the water pressure, but in the meantime any suggestions for manipulating these plastic parts will be appreciated.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
On That particular valve the plastic shaft spins and is corkscrewed and if you look close the top of the shaft it has a philips head cross so you can turn it with a philips screw driver and adjust the float up or down with it.

I just spin it with my hand.

watertight

Reaction score
On That particular valve the plastic shaft spins and is corkscrewed and if you look close the top of the shaft it has a philips head cross so you can turn it with a philips screw driver and adjust the float up or down with it.

I did notice the phillips head and wondered if that's what it was for, but I didn't want to force anything and break it. Now that I know I can turn it, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks