Canada shower question--just wondering

Users who are viewing this thread

timsean

Reaction score
I have seen shower stalls (not a tub) in Canada that use a regular tub diverter set up: shower head, valve, and a tub spout near the floor. I've never seen this in the USA. Anybody know the reason for this in Canada (or how common this may be--the ones I saw were in the Toronto area).

Just been wondering!

TimSean

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
That set up was designed to be only on bathtubs, but then the cheap skates moved into the picture and decided that replacing a diverter spout is cheaper than replacing a valve diverter. The spout "near the floor"is called a "toe tester" .It should be near 12" from floor to centre .It is also intended to test the water temp with your toe before jumping in the shower (hence the term "Toe Tester").

It is very commom now since the builders started cutting corners

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
This setup exists in the states as well, not just in Canada. It's main purpose was to flush the lines of cold/cool water to eliminate getting hit in the face by the blast of cold water when you first turn on the shower. Most shower valves have to be plugged anyways, so if you actually see a "toe tester" it's because someone wanted it installed that way.

Wow krow, you say that this setup is common these days where you are? I haven't come across one yet, and it would seem strange that any builder would use this setup as it is more expensive and uglier than just plugging the valve. But then again, there are plenty of dipshit builders out there.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Wow krow, you say that this setup is common these days where you are? I haven't come across one yet, and it would seem strange that any builder would use this setup as it is more expensive and uglier than just plugging the valve. But then again, there are plenty of dipshit builders out there.

Alot of crap goes on in Ontario. Between the "know it all " DIY's (who haven't got a clue), this includes the neighbourhood handyman, and the builders that have no sense of quality workmanship, i see every second service call with a code violation somewhere in the house.(There is no code violation in the above setup, it just looks ugly as you mentioned)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Krow, your logic is skewed. It would be cheaper to NOT use the diverter spout, so I cannot see why you would say it is a feature of the "cheap contractors". I do it in my own houses and any time I can convince a customer of its benefits. If they don't want it, then I have a Delta pull down diverter spout and it cost me a lot less than if I bought it separately. 12" is too low. 18" is better so you do not have to bend over.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
They got to a point that most suppliers do not carry valves with diverters mounted on them. Its not my logic, its what is easily available in our market. The faucet with the diverter spout will be 20% cheaper to purchase than a valve with built-in diverter, of the same make. I guess the initial purchase is the governing market.

I had to resort to the 18" for the exact same reason. The spouts less the diverter were perfect at 12" finished for toe tester.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Water for our sled dogs.

After running the team of sled dogs at high speed to get across our frozen land it's handy to have the tub filler low so you can fill all those water dishes for your thirsty dogs. Since carry for sled dogs is so time consuming us Canadians like to multi task EH!

What is up with that? I would make a Toronto joke but have seen it a lot here in Vancouver as well.

Kidding - no idea!

d02_17981149.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It may look "cheap" to you, but it is a feature of the finer homes. Integral diverters are not a feature of most new valves, if for no other reason than that a diverter spout lasts longer, works better, and is cheaper and easier to replace when it goes bad. And since I prefer to invert a "shower only" valve a built in diverter would be inappropriate. I do not know which valves you use with the integral diverter, but NONE of the ones I have ever seen were "removable" to use without a spout.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The Moen #3270 has a push button diverter, and they are almost obsolete now. Nobody uses them because of the price difference

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks