Canada. Hot Water Tank Change Out. Gas flex?

Discussion in 'Canadian Plumbing Code Questions' started by isletlake, Oct 15, 2016.

1. isletlake

isletlake New Member

Hello, i want to know if i can use a flexible piece of gas line to change my hot water tank in Alberta Canada.
    It is currently done with steel pipe. Would like to change tank myself but cant find out if the flexible type gas line is allowed.
    Does anyone know the code in Edmonton Alberta Canada, Thanks much

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Alberta? Hopefully someone knows.
    In the Seattle area where we can get earthquakes, we're allowed to use a gas flex.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. QueBall

QueBall New Member

CSST (Corrugated stainless steel tubing) type gas line is used all the time in Edmonton. No problem at all. You will need to have traditional hard pipe outside from the meter to the inside or anywhere that requires mechanical protection like inside a garage will be rejected but on the interior it's not a problem. You can have it as a short connector hose from the shutoff to the appliance or you can run the entire line in CSST.

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    The manufacturers typically state that CSST CANNOT be used as a "flexible appliance connector". You have to use a flexible supply made for that purpose.