Can you test a shower drain before Installing the shower pan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rbemiller

Reaction score
I'm aware of the concept of testing an installed shower pan for leaks. However, I'd like to test the PVC drain before I install the pan. I want to make sure water gets down the pipe and through the trap without backing up, before I go through all of the work of installing the pan and drain. What's the best way to do that? Just pour a pitcher of water down it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A full test would be to plug it below and fill it to the flood level of the vents.
That doesn't really happen on remodels though. Pouring water down the drain is the next best.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
assuming you mean test drain piping and not shower drain itself. yes we put a 10 ft head on new plumbing work, or if you are making a minor modification by all means test with garden hose, another way is to hire a camera inspection

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks