Can you reuse a roof vent boot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Md9918

Reaction score
Doing a bathroom remodel and ripped out the 3" cast iron vent stack. I left about a 24" stub of cast iron in the boot. I tugged on it a bit and it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere.

My question is: can I just push the cast iron out and push some new PVC through? Or should I just leave it the way it is, and connect the PVC to the cast iron stub with a coupling and deal with it whenever I replace the roof?

My concern is that the boot is stretched out and no longer elastic (I would guess it's 10-20 years old) and won't make a good seal against the PVC.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The old roof jack rubber is probably shot. There are 'vent shield' 'vent flashing' products that slip over the new pipe to provide protection that may work. LSP makes one, Oatey also.
Coupled with a first pass of compatible elastomeric sealant on the old rubber, then also seal the top edge of the shield, you should be fine.

We use special shingle tool to remove old roof jack.
1643738963166.png

Md9918

Reaction score
The old roof jack rubber is probably shot. There are 'vent shield' 'vent flashing' products that slip over the new pipe to provide protection that may work. LSP makes one, Oatey also.
Coupled with a first pass of compatible elastomeric sealant on the old rubber, then also seal the top edge of the shield, you should be fine.

We use special shingle tool to remove old roof jack.
View attachment 80618

Thanks-- this is exactly the route I went. Oatey calls them a "rain collar," and they're around $5. Basically, a boot for your boot. A really great, simple solution.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks