Can you join 2 p-trap arms (horizontally) before the vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

kmuddzy

Reaction score
Hi. I searched on here but I didn't find my answer. I did find that you cannot have a vertical fitting in the p-trap arm and you can only have a 90 degree maximum horizontal direction change in total.

My question:

I have a 2" shower p-trap and a 1.5" tub p-trap. Both arms from those traps are within 5' of a wall I can run drains & vents in. My question is can I run the 1.5" p-trap arm into the 2" p-trap arm using a 2"x1.5" wye before the shower's 2"x1.5" sani-tee drain/vent so that I can share the drain/vent?

Would it make a difference if the tub drain was 2" instead of the 1.5"?

Oh...and if the p-trap is not installed straight (the street elbow is turned) is that turn counted as part of the 90degree max or is it not counted since it is part of the p-trap and not the p-trap arm?

Thanks! Keith

Last edited:

kmuddzy

Reaction score
drawings of questions

Here area 2 iso dwgs of my question above:

joining 2traps GIRLS.JPG

joining 2traps MSTR.JPG

kmuddzy

Reaction score
Is the bottom drawing a close up of the top drawing? Why are the two drawings different in respect to the tub/shower plumbing?

I'm roughing in 2 different bathrooms in an addition we are building. The top picture is of a girls bathroom over existing 2x8 floor joists and the plumbing has to fit within these 2x8 joists. The bottom pic is of a master bathroom over a new 2x12 i-joist floor (much easier to drill/run the plumbing).

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If I were an inspector, I would not approve either installation. I would require the vent at the point where the two drains meet. Someday, you may regret using 1 1/2" pipe for the lavatory drain line, especially with all those turns in the line.

Last edited:

kmuddzy

Reaction score
Thanks HJ and Terry. That is what I needed to know. I am horizontal so I will have to do a separate vent (& then join the vents above 42") on the top drawing. HJ - I will consider changing the lav drain to 2" since I have all of those directional fittings.

Regarding the bottom of the 2 drawings above (Master Bath), I can't find a 2" Double cottage WYE ( Double WYE with side inlet)where I can join the two 2inch drains & vent at the fitting. Do either of you know where I can find one of these? Or, what do you think about this concept in the image below with the double WYE and street elbow (in plan view) since it will be similar to a cottage WYE? If I can't do that then I will have to separate the shower & tub plumbing as shown in the last image and it would be easier if I didn't have to do this. THANKS!

PLAN VIEW (HORIZONTAL PIPES EXCEPT FOR VENT WHICH RUNS VERTICAL)

joining 2 traps with WYE & street elbow MSTR BDRM.JPG

Attachments

• REVised 2traps MSTR.JPG
    REVised 2traps MSTR.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,782
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks