Can you identify this plumbing 'manifold' coming up from the foundation? SoCal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakaderm

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forums and need help with this. I recently opened the area under my stairs and found this 'manifold' coming out of the concrete foundation. Does anyone know why there are 3 hot and 4 cold lines coming out of the foundation, and why they loop back on themselves? The hot/cold at the top of the image head into the wall to feed the kitchen. I believe the builders did this (1990), as other homes in the association look similar.

Can anyone shed light on on why it's done this way?

BTW, it's open because it had a pinhole leak where that black towel is.

20220730_113402b.jpg

Pakaderm

Reaction score
That's how they connected lines to the plumbing fixtures. You can't have those joints under the concrete, so the connections are above the concrete. It's a plumbing code thing.
Thanks Terry, so it's likely the main into the house comes up through the foundation here (after the shutoff/regulator/etc), then, sends sends water back to into the foundation to get to the laundry/2nd bathroom, etc. Meaning multiple runs through the foundation.

There seems to be a lot of 'pitting', hence the leak. I'll consider replacing with new connections to try and stop any additional leaks.

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
What does "pitting" mean to you? City water? If your pipes are corroding on the inside and leaking, then repiping through the attic is a possible solution.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is one side that's hot the other is cold. on each side only one pipe is feeding the others are distributing to other areas requiring water EX. on the cold one of the pipes is likely 3/4 coming out of slab ( a feed) it connects with others that go back under slab to other places. its real simple

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
This method is often referred to as a Daisy Chain. The main water supply could be coming from up top where it penetrates the plywood or its coming from each of the largest lines going into the Slab. Hot water may be doing the same thing. This technique utilizes continuous loops of soft drawn type L or K copper tubing so that no fittings were made up under the slab. The copper is isolated from the concrete to prevent corrosion and appears that it may have been sleeved its entire run preventing corrosion from certain soils too. The green you see on the outside isn't necessarily "Pitting". Its a tiny bit of left over acid solder that reacted with the copper pipe. It can be wiped clean.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
From the floor the hot side 3/4" copper is from the water heater, on the cold side one 3/4" is the from the water meter. If you ever want to rework this, install two shut off valves on th e3/4" pipes

The sloppy soldering joints looks as if a DIY'er didn't know how to solder copper and one reason why a pin hole developed. Definitely fittings were added well after the original construction.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if it was wrongly plumbed it could be coming from top down but highly doubt it in this case to have 1/2 inch feeding 3/4 lines

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually those joints at the manifold look totally average on tract homes in so ca. they are typically sloppy
the work near the top with capped lines looks to be done as a change to the plumbing coulda been DIY not many DIY homebuilders in the city the usually just do repair don't know when the last time I saw A DIY house built from the ground up

Pakaderm

Reaction score
All, thanks for your replies. That was the original install. On the left in the picture I had the line capped four years ago which connected to a (removed) minibar. The water does flow up from the foundation from the water heater and main supply, although I do have a 1/4 turn shutoff valve in the garage.

The plumber I had out yesterday to fix the leak also indicated this was built to code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks