Can you get electrocuted if..

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
If the bottom element blows out and water is all over floor. Power is still on. Can you get Electrocuted if you stand in water
Standing in water will not protect you from lightning. :p Further, if you touch the above-the-water wires exposed when the element blew out, you could get electrocuted. If the protective ground is not wired to the WH, and one of the blown out wires is contacting the ungrounded case, and you touch the case with your hand, or touch an ungrounded metal pipe connected to that WH, you could get a bad shock. Otherwise, I don't see how you get electrocuted by standing nearby. Even with case of the WH presumed hot, standing nearby would be unlikely to give you a tingle.

But still, why aren't you seeking out the breaker box to cut the power?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had an inspector tell me about a plumber in the crawl space of a home that cut a water line and died as he became the ground for the electrical panel.
They now require older homes to have have the panel grounded before a repipe is done. In the 70's and before, the plumber was supposed to run five feet of copper out which was expected to be the grounding for the panel. Now they require grounding with two rods directly to the panel.

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was under a home a few weeks ago and the owner had a real bad leak, I was crawling in water trying to see exactly where it was coming from and I put my arm in a puddle and it lit me up. It didn’t tingle I mean it jolted me.

I would say in the case you are referencing several conditions would have to be just right but it’s possible.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I have gotten lit up a number of times, did not even realize it could happen
at the time..... that is why most tools have insulated handles on them..

I have been in a crawl space with water and discovered wires running under water and thought
better of what I was doing...... I guess I just got lucky at that time

There is nothing more fun than burning off the end of some needle nose pliers.. while working
on a water heater you thought was turned off at the breaker...

I love that green blue flash...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Absolutely pure water doesn't conduct very well, but they do not put distilled water in the pipes, and if it spills on the ground, there are all sorts of things that can affect how well it then can conduct! There are almost always some minerals in there, and that will change the conductivity. Even soft water ends up having some stuff in it. Even a copper wire isn't a perfect conductor, so even if the grounding wire is in place, if it's an excessively long run, there's some corrosion, a poor connection, or whatever, even the actual 'ground' may not be ground. Throw in the possibility that a wire might be touching a pipe somewhere, and it could be a big safety problem when you get in the circuit.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hey Mark, with the water heaters you're installing this might be good to throw in with your tools. About $17 and it's a non contact tester to see if there is voltage in the line. It warns you if it's a hot wire.
It has been handy for me to help me find out which breakers go to which circuits without getting shocked.

klein-tool-voltage-tester-01.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If the bottom element blows out and water is all over floor. Power is still on. Can you get Electrocuted if you stand in water
No different than being in a lake next to a pier. Many have been electrocuted as they entered the water. There was a post a few years ago on this forum on this topic. Not long ago someone at a Disney resort in Orlando was electrocuted as they entered a pool while touching the metal handrail. For some reason the handrail was hot.

Jay Cradoct

Reaction score
Hey Mark, with the water heaters you're installing this might be good to throw in with your tools. About $17 and it's a non contact tester to see if there is voltage in the line. It warns you if it's a hot wire.
It has been handy for me to help me find out which breakers go to which circuits without getting shocked.

klein-tool-voltage-tester-01.jpg
Just bought my second one of these today; well worth the expense!

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I carry the one with the flashlight feature. The lettering is worn off and I've probably run a hundred batteries through it. Good tool.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks