Can vent be reduced in size for clearance?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I know it sounds bad, but here's the deal. I have a 3 inch WC drain individual vented with 2-in pipe. The plumbers overdrilled a 2x4 stud to get the 2 inch through it. Well since it's a bearing wall at that point, it turns out this is creating a problem. A 1.5 inch pipe could pass the stud without drilling more than 60% and I believe this is acceptable if we double the stud.

So given that a 1.5" vent is large enough to vent the WC, can I replace just the section passing the stud with 1.5", or do I need to replace it all the way from that point down to the drain?

Thanks DIY

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
11/2 is Legal in NYC (Old code) You cannot decrease the vent or waste BUT you can use 11/2" pipe for a WC Vent no problem

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose the only real downside is if the next plumber ties into what they think is a 2" vent but its really necked down to 1.5... The house would probably explode.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I suppose the only real downside is if the next plumber ties into what they think is a 2" vent but its really necked down to 1.5... The house would probably explode.

Ha, I thought about that. But at this location, it's pretty much impossible anyone would tie anything into that vent, and additionally they would have to tie in more than 8 total dfus for it to matter and even then nothing would explode as you say.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
11/2 Vent run up to 150 feet can service up to 8 FU

11/2 vent 100 feet can handle 10 FU

I doubt very seriously all the fixtures will be used at the same time

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks