Can tube and shell (pool) heat exchangers be used for potable applications?

Users who are viewing this thread

james b

Reaction score
I have an application where I want to use a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger will exchange heat between the boiler return and the water heater inflow. I want to use a shell and tube heat exchanger also known as a pool heat exchanger because of the lower psi loss and because I can spare the space. I realize that brazed plate heat exchangers are more commonly used for this application. I have not been able to get a definitive answer regarding weather or not shell and tube heat exchangers are rated for potable water.

Does anyone have any information regarding pool heat exchangers and potable water?

http://www.brazetek.com/

Regards
James
Seattle, WA

Save-H2O

Reaction score
I have an application where I want to use a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger will exchange heat between the boiler return and the water heater inflow. I want to use a shell and tube heat exchanger also known as a pool heat exchanger because of the lower psi loss and because I can spare the space. I realize that brazed plate heat exchangers are more commonly used for this application. I have not been able to get a definitive answer regarding weather or not shell and tube heat exchangers are rated for potable water.

Does anyone have any information regarding pool heat exchangers and potable water?

http://www.brazetek.com/

Regards
James
Seattle, WA
I don't believe so since it's considered a cross connection with non potable water. In addition the system will need a rpba backflow assembly which will drop your pressure.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I don't believe so since it's considered a cross connection with non potable water. In addition the system will need a rpba backflow assembly which will drop your pressure.

What does ANY of this have to do with the question? He is merely asking if a "pool type" heater can be used for heating domestic water, and normally the answer would be yes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks