Can this leak be repaired or need re-route?

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel_123

Reaction score
Hi all,
Found one pin-hole leak in the hot water pipe about 4-5 inch above the slab on the back of my vanity sink ( see the below 2 pictures) .
This hot pipe is the one that next to the wood stump and about 1 inch next to the outside wall with isolation including paper and foam. The leak location now at the same height base board. I can cut the base board a little to get down more

Want to ask:
1) is there a way to fix it using copper joins and solder? the space is narrow, will there be some risks to catch fire on the foam material?
2) or have to do re-route using PEX material? one plumbing company quoting me $1500 - 3000, which is too expensive.
thank you very much!
IMG_20201109_162354_light.jpg
IMG_20201109_162756_light.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
fixed those many times . cut pipe on the pin hole couple with repair coupling not fun. you could even use a shark bite if the pipe was sound . Ive never used a shark bite in such situation but fixed dozens of nail holes at floor level. chance of fire yes. I have water handy usualy a squirt bottle. when soldering you are fixated on job at hand and tend to keep burning and get carless fire can go up stud bay quick if possible have buddy with squirt bottle. get baseboard out way clean pipe super clean put sheet metal to guard paper. simple process just do it right cant have water in pipes either. we do it often but in a perfect world its easy. do everything to make it right the first time

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
YOu can make or buy heat shields to help prevent damaging the wood, but the electric is probably safer and faster. In either case, some water and/or a fire extinguisher is prudent. If you go with a shield, have a spray bottle and wet down the area around it first. The foam seal might get hot enough to melt or start to smolder, giving off some fumes, but it's supposed to be fire resistant.

Daniel_123

Reaction score
Try to find one experienced plumber to do this using electric gun. However this seems very hard to find one good guy in Phoenix Arizona area.

one plumber came. He said he can solder, but a little worried about the insulation material catching on fire when doing soldering.
He called his boss. His boss then call me back as a business man advertising re-route with lots of cost
So I worried how honest the the plumber and his boss.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
ProPress tool and fittings would possibly work, with some effort carving out a little wood probably.
You need a plumber with that equipment. Send them photos. Call around until you find one that owns the suitable close-quarters kit.
Or an electric heating kit. We sold ours because Viega Propress does it all.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
ProPress tool and fittings would possibly work, with some effort carving out a little wood probably.
You need a plumber with that equipment. Send them photos. Call around until you find one that owns the suitable close-quarters kit.
Or an electric heating kit. We sold ours because Viega Propress does it all.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The black tar paper on the wall behind burns very quickly. Any flame on that and things can get very interesting. It's pretty simple to cut it away from where you are working though.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
bend piece of sheet metal in a U shape to protect the building paper drywall is good too wet the paper

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks