Can this 1/2" copper line be moved?

Users who are viewing this thread

munchie

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member of the forum here with an issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I want to replace my vanity in the powder room but I have this pipe that is in the way. I'm wondering if at all is possible to move the pipe that's to the right of the wall few inches to the left. The pipe curves into the wall and is bent the whole way so if I cut it I don't know if it'll be possible to connect a piece of pipe to extend it to the left. I live in a townhouse and that pipe runs outside to an outdoor spigot. I appreciate any help or ideas!

IMG_20140604_171006.jpg

IMG_20140604_171551.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All things are possible. Some just take more time and money.

You may need to open up the wall more for access in moving that 1/2" copper line.

munchie

Reaction score
All things are possible. Some just take more time and money.

You may need to open up the wall more for access in moving that 1/2" copper line.

Thanks, I will open it up more but not sure how to attack this. The pipe is in between two studs where there is only 2"-3" and the hole where the pipe goes through in the second stud is maybe 1" x 1". Do I have to go pass the second stud where the pipe goes through and make a cut there? Not sure how I would get a torch in the little space.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Someone sure liked bending copper instead of using the proper fittings. It can be done, but I am not sure that YOU can do it, especially without burning the house down. Call a plumber.

munchie

Reaction score
Someone sure liked bending copper instead of using the proper fittings. It can be done, but I am not sure that YOU can do it, especially without burning the house down. Call a plumber.

I can do it!! lol

Thanks guys, I'm going to stare at this thing for a little longer and see what I can do. If I don't think I can do it then I'll call a professional. I hate giving up on things but I also know what my limits are. Don't worry I won't burn my house down.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A plumber would cut out anything that burns first. Maybe by sawing away more wood.
And a plumber would have water on hand to put out any fire.
Cool-Gel may be useful here too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks