Can the tub port on a shower valve be used for something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Obvious

Reaction score
Can the bottom port of the shower valve be used for anything but the tub? I see no point in taking a 1/2 supply line to a diverter from the shower valve when I'll have 4 fixtures that are 2 gpm.
I'm about to remodel my shower and the existing Delta valve has the bottom port, which is capped off.
I have another identical Delta valve and trim kit lying around so I'm tempted to put it on the opposite wall for the body sprays, each valve having its own designated hot and cold. But I'm not crazy on how it will look.
A diverter on the opposite wall would be better simply because it's almost half the size of the shower trim. It'd be great to take the port for the tub over to the diverter

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It'd be great to take the port for the tub over to the diverter

The tub/shower valve outputs from the top and the bottom. You do get more volume from the lower "tub" outlet than the reduced in size "shower" port. It's kind of pushing it to run four heads at once. You may want to check the specs first on that.

Mr Obvious

Reaction score
The tub/shower valve outputs from the top and the bottom. You do get more volume from the lower "tub" outlet than the reduced in size "shower" port. It's kind of pushing it to run four heads at once. You may want to check the specs first on that.
Do you think the bottom port would handle 2 body sprays at a rate of 2 gpm? If not I'll just stick with the original plan and pipe each shower valve independently of the other.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
delta-flow-rate.jpg
delta-flow-rate-multichoice-tub.jpg

Something like this.

Mr Obvious

Reaction score
I was just looking at the flow rates and just talking the wife into new fixtures. The shower was not quite 2 and the tub was not quite 4. My 2nd shower valve is shower only. So doesn't help much. As much material as I order in a year, the supply house better give me fixtures at cost

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks