Can supply pipe touch DWV pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Sydflash

Reaction score
I have a situation where the supply pipe (pex) for a shower-head (after the valve) is touching the shower drain vent (pvc).

Is this an issue?

I am a little worried that if the shower is not used for a while then the standing water in the supply could freeze on an extremely cold day.

I’m not sure how cold the vent might get, but it’s not a straight shot thru the roof and the run to the stack is probably about twelve feet, in the ceiling.

Am I worrying about nothing or do I need to change the route of the supply - a difficult task?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
conductivity of plastic is very poor. I wouldn't worry...You could add a short piece of minimum 3/4" wall insulation to the water tube to prevent contact...I am not an east coast freeze zone experienced plumber, just venturing a guess.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
we use sticky back felt on copper from hitting other pipes etc.
Generally pipes shouldn't be touching each other as a basic quality or proper workmanship we avoid it on other hand from a plastic vent pipe its not very concerning.

Sydflash

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! While I doubt freezing would be an issue, I decided to go the difficult route and change some of the wall structure to create a small amount of clearance between the pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks