Can someone please tell me what this is?

Users who are viewing this thread

costnerj

Reaction score
In my bedroom closet there is a valve that has been leaking. The valve shuts off the water in the home. I took the valve out to replace it and took it to Home Depot, Lowes, and another hardware store and no one seems to have seen this before.

It has a knob like an outdoor water spigot and it looks EXACTLY like one. The only thing its missing is the second hole that allows the water to come out. I've enclosed a picture of it, to better explain it.

I'm trying to find a replacement for it to stop the leaking without having to solder the pipe and replace a brand new shut off valve.

Any help would be great. Thank you!

Attachments

• P07-02-12_17-02.jpg
    P07-02-12_17-02.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 416

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
chances of finding one to match are very slim. Why not just rebuild the one you have with a new washer and packing?

John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Basic globe ( compression ) valve stem. Unlikely to find a replacement since each brand is different, and given the apparent age, even a valve from the same brand, if you knew it, likely is no longer the same. You can repair those, but it looks like the stem is bent. Time to bite the bullet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That could be a Nibco #75 compression globe valve, and if so, a new "top", if you could find a new valve, might interchange with it. It is NOT an approved valve for the water line coming into the house or for a water heater, so replacement would be preferred to repairing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks