Can someone identfy this casing adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

catldavis

Reaction score
I recently purchased a piece of property that has a well casing and some type of adapter mounted on the casing. The casing is 2". I'm a little familiar with submersible pumps but not much experience with above ground pumps. Is this a jet pump and is there a way to test if the casing is good? Is there a way to test to the depth of atmospheric water level? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

catldavis

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
It is possible there is a system like this picture, but that there is also a tail pipe extending below the leathers, to foot valve, that allows water to be drawn up to about 25 ft below the jet/ejector. So your nut on a string would hit in the jet area.

It looks like this may be in a pit, and pits are subject to flooding and contamination. So all in all, even if there is a tailpipe that extends into water, and the jet is not clogged, you may be be better off with a new well. On the other hand, a system like this is going to be waterproof, or it would be obvious in action that there was a leak.

attachment.php

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Around here they mount the pump on top of the flange.

It can be a pain to pull the jet out when the leathers get stuck.

Good Luck.

catldavis

Reaction score
It is possible there is a system like this picture, but that there is also a tail pipe extending below the leathers, to foot valve, that allows water to be drawn up to about 25 ft below the jet/ejector. So your nut on a string would hit in the jet area.

It looks like this may be in a pit, and pits are subject to flooding and contamination. So all in all, even if there is a tailpipe that extends into water, and the jet is not clogged, you may be be better off with a new well. On the other hand, a system like this is going to be waterproof, or it would be obvious in action that there was a leak.

attachment.php
Thanks for the great information. The well is not in a pit, it's just the pump house wall you're seeing. It's high and dry with almost of a foot of the casing extending out of the ground.

This pump is just going to be for a shop. Therefore, really don't want to invest in a new well. When you say it is "waterproof", can you explain what that means?

Also, a friend said to pour water down the pipe and see if it holds water; if it does, he said it would probably be worth in installing a pump to see if it will work. Does that sound like a good plan?

catldavis

Reaction score
Around here they mount the pump on top of the flange.

It can be a pain to pull the jet out when the leathers get stuck.

Good Luck.

Do you normally need a hoist to pull the jet or can it typically be pulled by hand?

Reach4

Reaction score
When you say it is "waterproof", can you explain what that means?
In operation the casing is under pressure, so it must seal. Otherwise it would squirt water.

Do you normally need a hoist to pull the jet or can it typically be pulled by hand?
You could apply a lot of force with a jack to get it started.

Youtube has some good and bad examples of pulling a pipe from a well.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It fits a sta rite pump. You can also bolt on a Gould's but you have to use an adapter kit.

Even if you could get it to prime there is probably trash in the jet from sitting. I would suggest to hire a well guy to pull it out and blow the well with an air compressor to see if it is any good. Steel casing eventually will rust out.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
Definitely a Sta-rite casing adapter. Blow air down the suction side aka the one with 1.25" threads. That will help clear the jet of debris. When the water stops coming out run a string down with a nut tied to it to measure water static. Make sure to stop as soon as it hits water so you don't risk getting a nut and string stuck. Really doesn't matter how far to water but if you must know that's the way. Maybe even keep the air compressor running for a bit, it may pump a little water even though you're blowing air down the side that is normally sucking the other direction. That's a trick I used very often to clear a jet. This may help open the foot valve so the string may get wet this time. I made the mistake of typing before reading all the other posts, sorry. Good luck

Last edited:

catldavis

Reaction score
Great information guys, thanks so much. I think I'm going to take the chance on this thing working out and buy a used pump to just test it. Will other pumps mount to the Sta-Rite adapter or will I have to buy an adapter for the specific pump manufacturer? As an example, I can buy a used Goulds SJ15 for a really good price. Would I need a Gould's mount or would the Sta-Rite adapter work?

Additionally, any advice on testing a used pump before buying? My instincts tell me if the pump was good it would be on a casing pumping, but I've known of a couple situations where good pumps were removed (like converting to a municipal water system).

Thanks again for all of the help.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
Goulds and sta rite are close but different. Texas well man did say there's such a adapter plate to convert. You may search for a Berkeley 2 stage jet pump or even myers. They're all the same due to Pentair industrial.

catldavis

Reaction score
So a Myers will bolt right up to the Sta-Rite adapter? I can get my hands on a Myers HJ100S at a good price.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
No thats a shallow well pump. You need a vertical 2 stage deep well jet pump. I think that model number is like MVPH-100. And the Berkeley is the MS Series.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gould's sj15 is an excellent pump. You can either buy an adapter kit or drill out the holes in the well head. The pipe holes will line right up. The bolts are what needs adjusted.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks