Can someone help me identify this well system?

Users who are viewing this thread

moss1972

Reaction score
I just put an offer on a cabin in NH. Not a lot of info was provided though this well system works just fine and looks neat and clean. What I'm wondering is exactly what is it? It looks like a 2" casing so maybe a driven or drilled point? Shallow well? The pump is not submersible, clearly, but there's only one inlet...so it's not a jet pump...right? All of this is 10 feet down in a stack of casings with the line to the cabin buried pretty deep. So I'm also guessing this is great for winter use w/o worrying about the tank or lines down there freezing if they sit for a couple weeks unused.

Please...thoughts?
Steve

Attachments

• WELL2.jpg
    WELL2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 204

Reach4

Reaction score
The photo is not very clear. You might try a camera instead of a phone. This appears to be a pump system in a pit. This may be in a pit to prevent freezing, but maybe there is some other reason. A problem with pits is they can flood, and contaminate the well. Another reason is that they are crowded to work on.
IMG_5.jpg

This should get you started:

A not sure. Maybe be part the shallow well jet pump
B fitting to prime and insert sanitizing chemicals
F Pump part of the pump
G pressure gauge
J Motor end of the pump
K Pressure switch
L on-off electrical switch
V pressure tank
W possibly Schrader valve to measure and adjust precharge
X possibly Schrader valve to measure and adjust precharge

moss1972

Reaction score
Thank you so much for that reply. You've given me a start at identifying the components. I am told by NH that this may be a POINT WELL with a suction pump, as point wells are not uncommon in the area of this cabin.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like a driven point to me. 1.25 is almost always a driven point. in your area. If it's larger diameter it could be a wash well. Wash wells are basically the same concept but are developed and can provide higher yields. A better photo would certainly help identify specifics but it doesn't much matter everything on systems that size is kind of plug and play.

The pump could be an old Burks with that coloring. They were very good pumps but haven't been made in 20 years. A few other generics still use green. The tank is a WX-202.

It is in a pit so it doesn't freeze. Anything in the bottom is pretty safe provided there are no drafts. A lot of times the pits were buried below grade to avoid drafts. It looks like you have a pipe coming up, that would be in danger of freezing it it isn't drained.

NH is rather familiar with the lakes region, he'd be a pretty good resource for your questions.

moss1972

Reaction score
Looks like a driven point to me. 1.25 is almost always a driven point. in your area. If it's larger diameter it could be a wash well. Wash wells are basically the same concept but are developed and can provide higher yields. A better photo would certainly help identify specifics but it doesn't much matter everything on systems that size is kind of plug and play.

The pump could be an old Burks with that coloring. They were very good pumps but haven't been made in 20 years. A few other generics still use green. The tank is a WX-202.

It is in a pit so it doesn't freeze. Anything in the bottom is pretty safe provided there are no drafts. A lot of times the pits were buried below grade to avoid drafts. It looks like you have a pipe coming up, that would be in danger of freezing it it isn't drained.

NH is rather familiar with the lakes region, he'd be a pretty good resource for your questions.

That's great info too. I'm psyched you recognized some components. Figured it can't be that deep it there's a suction pump in there. But the area is all sand in a bowl on a hill and running strong after 20+ years. Wonder how the water table is in the winter. BTW the pipe coming up is a KEY to turn a petcock down below. There are two down there. The thing I'm wondering is how to manage the system. I'll have to figure that out in person. Would love to NOT have to prime it mid February.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can leave it pressurized so it doesn't lose prime. If the key if for curb stops that's a good sign everything has been set up to easily winterize leaving the pump pressurized.

It does draw from a surface supply so you can see seasonal variation. Personally I'd avoid drinking it unless you test it regularly.

Though it is dependent of rain to replenish I've never seen even a shallow well drop off production during the winter, people also use a lot less water during the winter so it's unlikely you'd have an issue there. If it's doing well right now during this drought supply probably won't be an issue. Points do have a limited life, eventually it will fail. The solution is to drive a new point when it does. If you can get a measurement on it not it'll make driving a new one in the future easier as you'll have a target zone. Too deep or too shallow and you won't get water. Send a fish tape down. Drive pipe comes in 5 foot lengths points are usually 2 or 3 feet. so if you get 13ft its two drive pipes and a 3ft point.

Deepest the pump can pull water from is 30ft. the point is unlikely to be deeper. 10-20 feet is the norm. A local well guy with experience can tell you what to expect in different areas.

I actively avoid driving points as a business, it is hard work for uncertain results. I'm happy to lend out the equipment and supply parts so people can get first hand experience and understand why it costs what it does. If you want to get into it yourself R.E Presscott in Exeter stocks and sells a lot of material for points.

moss1972

Reaction score
Thanks again third gen. I'll research curb stops so when I get down close and personal then I'll know what I'm looking at.

I hope to use the cabin weekends in winter so that would be a huge plus and save the expense of drilling. For now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks