Can someone check my 5600SXT settings - also question on acid neutraliser

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob Sappe

Reaction score
64k system (4 people) - well water

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 6.75 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 2 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000

Raw hardness = 8 ; not including any compensation (PH is 5.7 and a calcite neutraliser has been added, should I compensate to say 12 or 13 on hardness as I have heard this can cause hardness to raise? iron is .056 mg/L, manganese is .128 mg/L)

People = 4 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 240 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 14.13 ; Computed days ignoring reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 43.1 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 13 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 240 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 28 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 9 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = t0.7 ; TURBINE flow meter

system is not yet installed but just trying to get all my ducks in a row. I have been researching and trying to find specs on here as close to mine as I can.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
someone will come along with a better response re your settings. But with a pH of 5.7, its unlikely a typical calcite neutralizer is going to correct that up to 7. There is corosex that can be mixed in with the calcite for lower pH correction, but frankly, you are chasing your tail because you are adding hardness and then removing it again with the softener. You would be better off injecting soda ash and never adding the hardness with the calcite/corosex to start with

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you sample the hardness of the water into the softener? If you have not installed yet, add a boiler drain before the softener, and sampling will be easy.

Your best bet longer term may be to check the residual hardness on the day before the the softener is due to regen. If it takes more than one drop to turn the test of cold water hardness blue on your Hach 5-B test, the increase H.

If you find that the water starts turning hard before the last day, identify how many days the display said when you measure >1 hardness, and we can estimate a new H value to use.

But if you have not yet ordered the calcite tank, you could consider gsmith22's suggestion. If you have not ordered the softener yet, you could get one with a valve that can tell the injection pump when and how much to inject.

Rob Sappe

Reaction score
Can you sample the hardness of the water into the softener? If you have not installed yet, add a boiler drain before the softener, and sampling will be easy.

Your best bet longer term may be to check the residual hardness on the day before the the softener is due to regen. If it takes more than one drop to turn the test of cold water hardness blue on your Hach 5-B test, the increase H.

If you find that the water starts turning hard before the last day, identify how many days the display said when you measure >1 hardness, and we can estimate a new H value to use.

But if you have not yet ordered the calcite tank, you could consider gsmith22's suggestion. If you have not ordered the softener yet, you could get one with a valve that can tell the injection pump when and how much to inject.

Yes I can add a drain before the softener and after the calcite tank when I install. just wasn't sure if I could take hardness test after everything and compensate that way. yes I already have the calcite tank. Mid Atlantic Water assured me a 2.5 CF tank could do it... even without Corosex.

based on my raw water hardness of 9 do the rest of the settings look right?

Rob Sappe

Reaction score
So I got my system up and running but I think I need to adjust. I know the calcite neutralizer is adding hardness but I already had it. Before calcite neutralizer, raw water was 9. Now 19 before softener.

What settings should I change to and when is a good time to change? System has been running for a week or so. Hardness is <1 after softener and calcite tank.

Here are my current settings for hardness 9

64k system (4 people) - well water

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 6.75 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 2 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000

Raw hardness = 9
iron is .056 mg/L, manganese is .128 mg/L)

People = 4 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 240 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 14.13 ; Computed days ignoring reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 43.1 ; capacity in 1000 grains

H = 13 ; Hardness-- originally compensated ( now 19-20)

RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 240 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 28 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 9 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = t0.7 ; TURBINE flow meter

is there some sort of formula/excel spreadsheet out there to enter all this to come up with a good starting point?

thanks
Rob

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks