Can PVC pipe be threaded using normal tools?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I use a lot of FPT PVC fittings, and am getting tired of buying MPT adapters by the carload. Can I just use normal threading tools to cut threads in PVC pipe and thus make nipples of arbitrary length?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to work slowly or the PVC will gall, and you need to use sch. 80 pipe, ( and do not use linseed oil). Why aren't you just buying PVC nipples, they are very inexpensive?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I've bought several PVC nipples, but they're never exactly the right length. I've been a tinkerer over the last 10 years, so my treatment installation is 95% couplings and adapters making up for things deleted or inserted. I've now standardized on threaded components, so if I can cut my own nipples to length, the (hopefully final) result will be a lot prettier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks