Can I use PVC pipe to plumb from well head to storage tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

JeremyF559

Reaction score
I’m planning out a 3,000 gallon storage tank system on my property. The storage tank will have to be about 150 feet away from the well head due to HOA issues. We have a 3HP submersible Pump that pumps about 20GPM. Can I use PVC pipe for this job (it’ll be underground)? Or what type of piping can I use? The well head is a 2in pipe. Any help is appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
SIDR poly would usually be the better choice. It connects with barbs and worm gear clamps.

PVC has more problems with thermal effects. If you do use PVC, there are methods to compensated. With poly, you just snake the path a bit, rather than pull tight.

2 inch pipe is huge.

Will the household water come from the tank? If so, you will need a pressure pump at the tank. A submersible in the tank is more efficient.

20 gpm is big. Sounds like the people who sized that were planning for something more than a big house. Probably did not buy into desert landscaping. ;-)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Here are a few ways to set up a cistern and booster pump.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg
LOW YIELD WELL_and storage with two PK1A one pipe.jpg
LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

JeremyF559

Reaction score
SIDR poly would usually be the better choice. It connects with barbs and worm gear clamps.

PVC has more problems with thermal effects. If you do use PVC, there are methods to compensated. With poly, you just snake the path a bit, rather than pull tight.

2 inch pipe is huge.

Will the household water come from the tank? If so, you will need a pressure pump at the tank. A submersible in the tank is more efficient.

20 gpm is big. Sounds like the people who sized that were planning for something more than a big house. Probably did not buy into desert landscaping. ;-)

Thanks for you help! I’ll look into the poly pipes.

The house was a custom build on 3 acres and we have about 2 of that landscapes with grass, trees, flowers, and shrubs. It was really nice when we bought the house but now doing maintence adds up since they sized everything so large. Haha

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks