Can I use frost free faucets as cutoff for outdoor shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Sal Yorkinson

Reaction score
I am installing an outdoor shower for my pool area. This shower will have hot and cold water and an exposed shower fixture like this.
346235-economy-exposed-outdoor-shower.jpg
This shower will back up to an elevated deck which is along the width of the house and is 8 feet deep at this point. My crawl space opening is about 18 feet from the point where I will place the shower. The height under the deck goes from about 52 inches at the shower location to about 26 inches at the crawl space door. I was hoping to find a way to run my plumbing using frost free faucets coming thru the rear wall of the crawl space under the deck at the point where it is about 52 inches. These faucets would be used as my winter cut-off valve. I am old and don't want to make my way to the crawl space door to cut off water for the winter.

My questions are: 1. Is this possible 2. are there flexible hoses like you use for a bathroom faucet with a water hose fitting on one end and(not sure what you call it) a faucet fitting on the other end? Hope that this is a coherent post. Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
would have to remove the hose connections from the faucets or they will freeze just like any other hoses faucet when it gets cold.

Removing the hoses would work as long as no water remains in the valve. I could see how that solution may work.
I finally removed an outside wall shower for a customer that kept freezing. We went with a hot/cold frost free faucet for washing the dog.. Even that will need the hose removed in Winter.

Sal Yorkinson

Reaction score
Removing the hoses would work as long as no water remains in the valve. I could see how that solution may work.
I finally removed an outside wall shower for a customer that kept freezing. We went with a hot/cold frost free faucet for washing the dog.. Even that will need the hose removed in Winter.

Thanks. So is there a flexible hose that would go from a frost free faucet to a shower fixture. I am not sure what the correct names for any of this is.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could use something like washing machine hoses which are available in various lengths to connect the faucets to the shower. You may need an adapter to attach it to the shower fixture, but those are fairly easy to either buy or fabricate from parts. I'd probably solder a female hose outlet to the shower inlets. A typical garden hose is not rated for hot water, washing machine hoses are.

Sal Yorkinson

Reaction score
You could use something like washing machine hoses which are available in various lengths to connect the faucets to the shower. You may need an adapter to attach it to the shower fixture, but those are fairly easy to either buy or fabricate from parts. I'd probably solder a female hose outlet to the shower inlets. A typical garden hose is not rated for hot water, washing machine hoses are.
Washing machine hose is a good idea. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks