Can I use existing shower drain for new base installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Danny

Reaction score
I want to renovate my small basement bathroom. After tearing out the old metal shower insert and terrazzo shower base, I'm left with a fairly rusty, 2 inch ID cast pipe that protrudes 1-1.25 inches above the concrete floor.

I ran a hose at full blast down the pipe and had 2-3 faucets running in the house for at least 15 minutes. I watched the water flow freely underneath where the toilet used to be. The shower drain has to connect somewhere close downstream of the toilet.

Most of the shower pan/base instructions I've read and videos I've watched online, show the installation from an upstairs location with access from below or the drain is connected below the slab surface with an ABS pipe that's cut level with the floor inside of a framed out area.

I know that most likely everyone here will say, rip out the floor, replace the drain and trap, hire a licensed plumber, etc. I was hoping to keep this DIY, as the bathroom is already setup, framed out and plumbing is there. Plus this is a basement bathroom, that doesn't need to be top notch. Prior to this, it was basically a piss pot with rusted out shower walls.

I've attached some pictures for reference. Thank you all in advance for any/ all input.

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I would leave it and use it if you're sure there is plenty of pipe left. Clean it up with a wire brush and check the thickness. It is small room so you will not be putting that much money into it should something drastic happen in the future. You might want to have these drains scope out with a camera to be sure everything is intact. Check your local rental store if one can be rented. Should you decide to break concrete and replace these lines, where do you stop? A camera could decide where.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Shower drains are made for 2". This type uses a tool to snug up a threaded ring that holds the donut around the pipe.
If the pan drops down to the floor with the drain, then fine. If not, you may need to break out a little concrete for it to drop down to the floor. The drains may need some space below.

shower-drain-leak-terrylove-07.jpg

jackrabbit_drain2.jpg

Last edited:

Carver Edlun

Reaction score
Shower drains are made for 2". This type uses a tool to snug up a threaded ring that holds the donut around the pipe.
If the pan drops down to the floor with the drain, then fine. If not, you may need to break out a little concrete for it to drop down to the floor. The drains may need some space below.

shower-drain-leak-terrylove-07.jpg

jackrabbit_drain2.jpg

All shower drains are 2"?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks