Can I use a specialty CPVC fitting in a DWV application?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I know PVC and CPVC usually don't mix. But I'm running out of options here. I'm roughing in a shower and am extremely limited on vertical height / slope.

I have a horizontal 3" trunk which the 2" shower drain is joining. I can make 1/4" pitch on the 2" pipe if (and only if) I use an eccentric 3x2 reducer. If I use a bushing or standard reducer, I only get a heavy 1/8" pitch.

I've ordered a fitting from Spears, the P102-338E which is exactly this. However the supply house has sent the similar eccentric reducer in sch. 40. This internal diameter isn't right, it creates a lip which will clog and hold water. I really need the DWV version here. The supply house has tried to send it 4 times, each time sending the wrong part.

I found one on Ebay, which is exactly what I want. An eccentric 3x2 reducer for DWV with the correct internal diameter for drainage. However it is a surplus custom part from Spears made for some HVAC manufacturer and is a DWV fitting made out of CPVC. I'm not really sure if I should go for it.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Yes, SupplyHouse.com is where I'm ordering. 449-338E is a schedule 40 water fitting, it does not have the proper internal geometry for DWV, it creates a lip. See attached photo (looking through 2" hole into 3" pipe, note the lip in the direction of flow created by 3" pipe).

P102-338E is what I want. But SupplyHouse.com has tried to send it to me 4 times, every time I have received the 449-338E part, so it seems they don't actually carry it.

The last replacement I got I asked them to put a note on the order for the packer to actually check the part number on the fitting. They took about a week of "looking into the inventory problem" and said it was fixed. And today I receive the 449-338E part again. I can't really wait much longer. Ferguson and the local places don't seem to carry this either.

IMG_2219(1).jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, SupplyHouse.com is where I'm ordering. 449-338E is a schedule 40 water fitting, it does not have the proper internal geometry for DWV, it creates a lip. See attached photo (looking through 2" hole into 3" pipe, note the lip in the direction of flow created by 3" pipe).

P102-338E is what I want. But SupplyHouse.com has tried to send it to me 4 times, every time I have received the 449-338E part, so it seems they don't actually carry it.

The last replacement I got I asked them to put a note on the order for the packer to actually check the part number on the fitting. They took about a week of "looking into the inventory problem" and said it was fixed. And today I receive the 449-338E part again. I can't really wait much longer. Ferguson and the local places don't seem to carry this either.

View attachment 85810
Ferguson should be able to order it for you.

Reach4

Reaction score
On the shear rings, would that replace the existing clamps, or could it go on over or between the original clamps?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the shear rings, would that replace the existing clamps, or could it go on over or between the original clamps?
The shear ring is in addition to the outside hose clamps. They're what makes their strong back couplers rigid.

Probably just as hard or harder to find this Eccentric fitting as it would be to fill in the void of the CPVC or PVC Sch 40 fitting with an epoxy putty and smooth it to fill the gap...

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne, I fixed the link. Because the fitting is intended for DWV / Sewer applications, it will be built so that each pipe rests against a stop in the center of the rubber fitting or may not have the stop, but still won't have a depression or divot in the center.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
never used one plumbing or seen one . but pipefitting used tons of eccentrics butt weld fittings very common
Same.. I just end up researching tons of product for work and for this forum so I see a LOT of basically useless fittings that look neat and would solve a bunch of problems, but you'll never ever install because nobody stocks them.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Same.. I just end up researching tons of product for work and for this forum so I see a LOT of basically useless fittings that look neat and would solve a bunch of problems, but you'll never ever install because nobody stocks them.
Right on Tuttles same here but we undoubtedly lear a lot from it !
I remember a hospitol job we had a long run of vent piping in cieling across building where the vent increased from 2 inch to 3 inch inspector called it because water can pool up and not drain down. an eccentric would have worked

Reaction score
Update: Ferguson didn't even have the P102 fitting in their system. I was able to get ahold of a fabricated fitting through a site called "pvc fittings online" and it's going to work perfect.

FabFitting3x2.JPG

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never saw the stainless "shear ring" for sale I wonder if those are extra long as a fernco usually is?
If you look at the flyer in the link given, seems clear that the shear rings shown are the part that makes a 10XX-YY underground coupling into a 10XX-YYRC underground coupling. The former just have two hose-clamp type securements, one at each end, while the latter have 4 clamps with a solid metal shield between the inner pair of clamps. So the shear ring is just the middle two clamps connected to the solid metal shield.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you look at the flyer in the link given, seems clear that the shear rings shown are the part that makes a 10XX-YY underground coupling into a 10XX-YYRC underground coupling. The former just have two hose-clamp type securements, one at each end, while the latter have 4 clamps with a solid metal shield between the inner pair of clamps. So the shear ring is just the middle two clamps connected to the solid metal shield.

Cheers, Wayne

got it its still illegal to use above ground within the building

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks