Can I use a sanitary tee in these locations?

Users who are viewing this thread

RJick

Reaction score
yRYdjBV
Do I need a wye with a 45 or can I use a sanitary tee. I am trying to insert
a pdf but don't know if it is going through.
yRYdjBV

Thanks

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
No pictures.

Sanitary tee is required when a horizontal trap arm turns into a vertical drain and a vertical vent take off.

Sanitary tee is allowed when a horizontal drain meets a vertical drain.

IPC may allow a sanitary tee on its back for a vent take off with the drain remaining horizontal; UPC requires a combo there, and I think a combo is better.

Otherwise use a combo (edit: for drains).

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a combo is better.
Why is that? Santee for venting is more compact.

If you have a cleanout in the vent pipe, I agree the combo makes it certain that the snake goes the right way.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why is that? Santee for venting is more compact.
Primarily because I learned under the UPC, but also because if you have the room, why not use the combo? But I would consider a san-tee on its back for a vent takeoff if I ever did a project under the IPC and I needed the compactness.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why: is because under the flood level of the fixture the vent must act as a drain in case the whole plumbing system backs up with waste. In seattle / king co. we can get away with a san tee on its back. just like installing a med 90 as a trap arm stub out rather than a long turn.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks