Can I use a Saddle valve on PVC water pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

gideon

Reaction score
I'm installing a refrigerator with an ice maker in our church tonight. There aer only standard PVC water lines in the church house. Can I use the saddlevalve that came in the ice maker installation kit to tap into the PVC waterline? Or will it crack?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless

Gideon

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Throw the saddle valve in the trash and plumb the water line in right. You should put a shut off valve where you tap into the supply line, then reduce the size and adapt to the copper tubing. Saddle valves frequently develop leaks after being in use. The professional plumber on this venue all recommend against their use.

TheZster

Reaction score
Gary is right on... but - if you decide against a proper re-do --- yes, the pvc will crack.... been there, done that - in my early days as a DIYer....

gideon

Reaction score
thanks for the FAST reply. I figured the plastic would crack. I can put in a valve but my kit has plastic tubing so I'm not too sure about what to do there. I should probably run some copper tubing directly to the valve on the back of the refrigerator.

thanks again!!!

Gideon

Plumguy

Reaction score
No, saddle valves are not recommended and actually are illegal around here.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to check carefully what type of pipe it is. It should not be the white PVC. It should be the off-white colored CPVC. The valves, fittings, and glue are different.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks