Can I use a deep well submersible pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry Goldberg

Reaction score
I have possibly a unique situation, and would sincerely appreciate knowledgeable input. I have a silty spring fed pond of about 50' x 10' and 3' deep from which I have been drawing water for years using a shallow well pump with small retaining tank separately housed. A couple of years ago I installed a 3' x 3' x 3' concrete tank that uses one of the springs. The flow is fine, but my external pumps keep needing replacement every few years. I would like to install a deep well submersible pump to take care of this problem and have good pressure. My house is about 50' uphill, and I have only 115V on a 15 amp breaker. Can I use a deep well submersible pump? Can I place it horizontally? Would it be a problem if the top was out of the water? Does anyone even make a small deep well submersible pump that could fit in my 3x3x3 concrete well? Any recommendations on the best ones out there for my size and electrical restrictions? Would I need a float, flowing inducing shroud, and other things I've seen in diagrams? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
I saw your first posting, but I thought somebody else might be better able to suggest a specific pump. I am pretty sure that the answer to each of your first four questions is yes. As to the shroud, it is probably better because it increases cooling. Yet you will only be using a 1/2 HP pump. A 1/2 HP 7 (or maybe 10) GPM pump seems about right. A 1/2 HP Franklin 7 GPM pump is 22.98 inches long. The 10 GPM is a fraction of an inch shorter.

When you place a submersible horizontally, it ok to have the output a little higher than the other end, but it is not OK to have the output lower.

With such a pump, you would want maybe a 44 gallon pressure tank, unless you use a CSV. You would turn the pump on and off with the pressures switch that is at the pressure tank.

And just to make sure that I understand, this is for taking water from the cistern to the house, and some other pump is filling the cistern.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks