Can I use 6/3UF W/G outdoor instead of Indoor 6/3NM w/G ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Blakely

Reaction score
Looking to run 6/3 gauge for a 50 amp electric range. 50' of the outdoor is $50 less than comparable indoor, but all the insulation around the wires looks like a nuisance to deal try to get it into the panel and the range receptacle. Is it within code and/or advisable to do it with the outdoor?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Code wise you can use 6/3 UF anywhere you can use 6/3 NM. As for stripping it, harder than NM, but not crazy hard if you leave enough slack at the end. You can butcher the end for 6-12" to reveal the #10 bare, and then use that like a zip cord to cut the outer insulation as far as you need it, and cut off the butchered end. At least that's the theory.

You also could use some 6-6-6-6 Al SER cable, if that's available, and you confirm your receptacle is rated for 75C and for Al. The breaker should be.

Cheers, Wayne

Paul Blakely

Reaction score
Code wise you can use 6/3 UF anywhere you can use 6/3 NM. As for stripping it, harder than NM, but not crazy hard if you leave enough slack at the end. You can butcher the end for 6-12" to reveal the #10 bare, and then use that like a zip cord to cut the outer insulation as far as you need it, and cut off the butchered end. At least that's the theory.

You also could use some 6-6-6-6 Al SER cable, if that's available, and you confirm your receptacle is rated for 75C and for Al. The breaker should be.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne! I ended up using the 6/3 UF and it wasn't too bad stripping that extra insulation away. Just gotta head over to the hardware store to get some super-sized cable staples to tack the cable to the bottom of the floor joists in the crawl space.

And by the way, I finished swapping out the san-tees for the wyes per your detailed explanation in the DWV plumbing forum. Thanks so much for that!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks