Can I use 3 five foot extension cords instead of one long one?

Users who are viewing this thread

tracyballard

Reaction score
I find myself needing an extension cord for a large 15000 btu window ac unit, and I was wondering if it was ok to use 3 short cords instead of one long cord that is too long. I need about 12 feet, and I have a 25 foot orange outdoor cord, but I can get 5 foot certified appliance extension cords from walmart pretty cheap and not have the extra length - would that be OK?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The problems that exist are that the plugs are often the first thing to overheat and start fires, and your outdoor cord orange wire size is very likely undersized for the load, also risking a fire or damaging the A/C unit.

You would be better off buying 15 feet of 12 gauge SOOW cable and installing some high quality plugs on the ends. Most home centers would have this stuff, and anyone with decent handyman skills should be able to properly install the plugs on the cable.

The truely correct thing to do is to have an electrician install a receptacle at the A/C unit, so that no extension cord is required.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The connections in the plugs/receptacles are the weak point, assuming your wire gauge is adequate, which is often not the case. If there's any resistance, that means heat and voltage drop, and that leads to taking the temper out of the spring contacts, which leads to even more resistance and heat. It's really best to minimize extra connections.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Paying for one properly gauged extension cord is far cheaper than replacing the burned out AC unit or the insurance deductible to rebuild your burned down home.

Just because it is a orange outdoor cord does not mean it is of a proper size gauge. Most of them that everyone buys is 16 gauge because if the price. It's not enough for any AC unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks